Singapore Expats

Caustic linguistic

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Caustic linguistic

Post by tiki » Wed, 28 Dec 2005 11:53 pm

Just moved into my new apartment, was pushing a trolley of boxes..got into the lift with a couple of elderly womenfolk. As the door closed, overheard one of them telling the other in Mandarin -" He stays on the second floor and yet he needs to take the lift."

As I got out, I pushed all the buttons on the lift and turned around. With a smile I said -" Enjoy your ride ladies...oh and a happy new year!"... in Mandarin.

It's good to be back!

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bubbles » Thu, 29 Dec 2005 12:01 am

'Boom boom' (as Basil Brush used to say).....good one Tiki!!
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Kats_ » Thu, 29 Dec 2005 1:31 pm

Oh a similar thing happened to my friend once.

She got into a MRT and these two men sitting opposite to her assuming that she wouldnt understand Malayalam (an Indian language) started commenting on how fat she is and how shameless she is to be wearing whatever she is wearing inspite of being fat.

My friend SMSed one of her friends to call back and the ringtone was a Malayalam song........

She spoke to her buddy in the language and hung up and smiled at the emabarrassed men.

:)

eleven

Post by eleven » Thu, 29 Dec 2005 1:34 pm

Kats_ wrote:Oh a similar thing happened to my friend once.

She got into a MRT and these two men sitting opposite to her assuming that she wouldnt understand Malayalam (an Indian language) started commenting on how fat she is and how shameless she is to be wearing whatever she is wearing inspite of being fat.

My friend SMSed one of her friends to call back and the ringtone was a Malayalam song........

She spoke to her buddy in the language and hung up and smiled at the emabarrassed men.

:)
dun understand why people have to criticise another one for being fat. Being fat cannot do or dress how they like? Is there such rule?

oh god..

anyway, i'm just grumbling... :roll:

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Kats_ » Thu, 29 Dec 2005 1:55 pm

eleven wrote:
dun understand why people have to criticise another one for being fat. :
Those people aren't happy themselves as, if they were, they wouldnt care less about how others look.

They try to amuse themselves by laughing at others.....ignore them.

Return to “General Discussions”