Singapore Expats Forum

Curse of the occupation

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 02 Jan 2006 11:34 pm

Wham wrote:This is a funny topic.

Would this explain why most lawyers are %$ssholes even when not practicing law? (No offense to V's wife)

And why most models are shallow and superficial even when not modeling?

Then again, perhaps there is a chicken and egg thing going on. If one is an $%swhole to begin with, why not just put it to use and become a lawyer!!!

No offense taken, the missus is the exception to the rule . . . she does, however, change when in battle mode - thankfully she has been non-practising for a while now and the Mensch has come to the fore again.

'nuff said Image

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed, 11 Jan 2006 1:51 pm

she does, however, change when in battle mode

That made me smile V - for some reason I thought of Mrs V as a transformer. (you know the toys that are cars/dinosaurs that change into robots)

Transformers - lawyers in disguise :D
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 11 Jan 2006 2:05 pm

I'll be sure to let her know your vision of her . . . =D>

'nuff said Image

momopo

Postby momopo » Sat, 14 Jan 2006 4:48 pm

this thread is sure interesting. occupation curse.

i think some doctors are very careful about what they eat.

n my bf lawyer can start interrogating me n cornering me when we fight at times. well, tears will ultimately tho he may win initially. haha...

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ringo100 » Sat, 14 Jan 2006 7:55 pm

It’s true, I’m an accountant and keep a daily budget of my finances.

That in itself is not that bad as I know a lot of people who budget their money; it’s just mine is on Excel and has a balance sheet and profit and loss account. Totally sad.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Re: ...

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 14 Jan 2006 8:03 pm

ringo100 wrote:It’s true, I’m an accountant and keep a daily budget of my finances.

That in itself is not that bad as I know a lot of people who budget their money; it’s just mine is on Excel and has a balance sheet and profit and loss account. Totally sad.

Takes a big man to admit to that! :lol:

'nuff said Image

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Sun, 15 Jan 2006 9:38 am

The owner of a well known tattoo parlour out in Far East Plaza (and a much sought after tattoo artist himself), doesn't have a single spot of ink on him.

I have a mate back in NZ who's a counsellor/ social worker. There was once when during a boys night out at a pub, some 'over-burly' and waaaaaaaaaaay over enthusiastic (un)gentlemen who clearly must have left their brains in the fridge at home, started to misbehave.

They would hurl nuts and coasters at neighbouring tables and the women present. These women started to get a little uneasy and it happened at the table next to ours.

My mate, got up and went over to the 'waaaaaaaaaaay to much too drink and having waaaaaaaay to much 'fun' at the expense of others' (un)gentlemen and tried to reason it out.

His body language did not show signs of hostility and his posture was, well... relaxed. I reckon he's counsellor training kicked in. 'Instinct'.

I guess sometimes we behave the way we do is because we have been trained or to a certain extent, programmed to fit into, in this case, choice of occupation. It's not easy to sort of temporarily leave that persona behind as you would, taking off your coat when you get home.

Some people can really wear a number of hats, while for others the transition in between, can be just a little harder.

Oh yea...

....we left the pub that night but not after a few broken beer bottles.

Turned out, his soft approach was met with less than desired attitude so his 'training' from his previous employment kicked in.

He was a bouncer for a really dodgy underground club.

...'instinct'.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:42 am

I bumped this topic because I had a thought on the way to work this morning.

Why do estate agents display their photos?

Is it to 'humanise' the process? Is it to make people think "Ahh they look trustworthy I will but/rent a property from them"

Or as Ben Elton may have put it "They are very good looking, I'll buy/rent my property from them & I might get a shag as well"

If I buy/rent a property I don't care what the agent looks like I am just interested in the property! Is this photo thing for agents unique to Singapore?
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."

Hemingway

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:25 am

Baron Greenback wrote:If I buy/rent a property I don't care what the agent looks like I am just interested in the property! Is this photo thing for agents unique to Singapore?

Nope, I've seen this in both the US and Canada as well.

I never gave it much thought before but you've given me something to think about. It could be a trust thing.
One man's meat is another's poison.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:22 pm

interesting point, baron. i asked around and in singapore it seems the reason is that people tend to go to many real estate agents at the same time and collect many namecards rather than sticking with one agent. so they tend to forgot who's who and the photo is to remind them!

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:24 pm

Very intelligent reply (again) WIMH. Thanks

Hemingway