Singapore Expats Forum

Curse of the occupation

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Curse of the occupation

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed, 28 Dec 2005 10:39 am

I have noticed how hair dressers have really wild hair styles. I am not entirely sure why, perhaps it is to pass time between customers - so they practise on each other. Perhaps it is a kind of advert, but so many have peacocks on their head, with whisps of colour.

Another profession that is victim to this are fashion designers, I don't watch it but I have seen the adverts for a reality show on at the moment & they seem determined to wear outlandish clothes.

Do other occupations have this curse? Do architects have to live in odd houses? Do butchers eat strange animals? Do IT people have to have modded PCs?
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

babykasim
Chatter
Chatter

Postby babykasim » Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:13 pm

Im in the IT line and no, we dont have modded PCs ;)

Agree abt the hair dresser though I believe not all are like that. My hair dresser still have a normal hair style and so does everyone else in the salon. Probably it depends on the salon and its target market as well. I guess its just a way of showing that they can do those eccentric kind of haircut especially with the japanese hairstyle getting more and more famous here.

Same applies for fashion designers. A lot of the clothes you see in the runaway can never be worn out of the runaway. Its simply a way of showing to the world how brilliant the designer is when it comes to creativity.

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Wed, 28 Dec 2005 1:59 pm

'Occupation curse' - Nice way of putting it :)

How about relating it to passion rather than an advert.

Some Engineers do love to own fancy gadgets. Some of them like to create their own.

Curse or not, advert or not I do appreciate the creative side of it

...although you could certainly find me grinning at some bizzare kaleidoscopic hairdo.

Digressing a bit...I use a lot of shortcuts like 'Ctrl-Z' (to undo) ...'Ctrl-F' (to find) while on PC and believe it or not....at times my fingers go 'Ctrl-F' when I am searching for something in my cluttered draw.....

or....'Ctrl-Z' to undo spilt water... :? Occupation hazard? Curse?

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Thu, 29 Dec 2005 10:22 am

at times my fingers go 'Ctrl-F' when I am searching for something in my cluttered draw.....

:D That is so funny I wonder if hairdressers make scissor movements with their fingers when they are cutting & pasting on their PCs.
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."

Hemingway

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Thu, 29 Dec 2005 12:53 pm

That would be hilarious too, to experience!....frustrating even, at times :)

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Thu, 29 Dec 2005 1:30 pm

This is a funny topic.

Would this explain why most lawyers are %$ssholes even when not practicing law? (No offense to V's wife)

And why most models are shallow and superficial even when not modeling?

Then again, perhaps there is a chicken and egg thing going on. If one is an $%swhole to begin with, why not just put it to use and become a lawyer!!!
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Thu, 29 Dec 2005 1:48 pm

Ok I think I/we have digressed frm the OP...

So, are we talking about attire? or mannerisms? or attitude?

Attitude-wise I think it is understandable. I mean a lot of it comes from grooming I suppose. Pretentious I know, but could be avoided for sure.

Some times ones' profession is as such that their behavior in public cant be compromised. Imagine the Pope to be talking about this rock-concert during his free time....or the Queen letting her hair down at a popular club.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Thu, 29 Dec 2005 8:54 pm

I have definately noticed the hairdresser curse.

Perhaps the worst occupational curse would be that of plumbers and builders who seem to get longer arse cracks and shorter-waisted pants than the general population. *Shudder*

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Fri, 30 Dec 2005 6:26 am

LOL....yikes!

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:33 am

I've thought of another occupational curse - Teachers. They tend to talk about teaching..........ALOT :o

Hemingway

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:44 am

how about mums?

I remember back at Uni...one of my hostel officers pulled my ears for having my eyes too close to the paper while filling the form!!!

Can I attribute this trait to that of a mum's?

How about grannies pampering you or at times nagging you?

fefe

Postby fefe » Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:45 am

How about doctors? I've known of some medical students who actualy record and calculate their calories intake every day, every meal and they make sure they don't go over the limit... How bizzare...

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Fri, 30 Dec 2005 1:39 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:I've thought of another occupational curse - Teachers. They tend to talk about teaching..........ALOT :o

Aah, guilty. :oops:

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Fri, 30 Dec 2005 10:40 pm

Really? I can't say the same for my just-graduated MD cousin :D

I have wished for Ctrl-Z when things go wrong...

fefe wrote:How about doctors? I've known of some medical students who actualy record and calculate their calories intake every day, every meal and they make sure they don't go over the limit... How bizzare...
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

fefe

Postby fefe » Sat, 31 Dec 2005 12:19 am

riversandlakes wrote:Really? I can't say the same for my just-graduated MD cousin :D

I have wished for Ctrl-Z when things go wrong...

fefe wrote:How about doctors? I've known of some medical students who actualy record and calculate their calories intake every day, every meal and they make sure they don't go over the limit... How bizzare...

hmmm... I can't say all are like that but my friend who works at the hospital told me that her colleagues are generally very health conscious, less adventurous with food, stay away from sinful food etc etc... may be they see enough patients dying every day :)

However, thankfully my friend is not like that, or else I'd have a hard time going out for a meal with her :D