Singapore Expats Forum

Relocation packages

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

singapore_xp

Relocation packages

Postby singapore_xp » Tue, 27 Dec 2005 4:00 pm

Hi all... just found this great website and forum through google...

I've been offered a very attractive compensation package as a director for a company in Singapore. The total package including car allowance is about SG$205,000. Is this very good for singapore? (ie. will I be in a position to live well, AND save some money)

They have also said that an 'attractive relocation package' will be offered.. but they haven't given me any details, other than the fact that I'll get business class airfares from my home country.

Could someone please let me know what to expect from an 'attractive relocation package', and where the points of negotiation might be.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Wed, 28 Dec 2005 3:08 am

That figure is just SO off-scale for me I don't know what to say...

At such a position with SO mucho dinero, don't you have personal contacts who can tell you precisely how much you should be getting :o

*spinning* hehe
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

singapore_xp

Thanks

Postby singapore_xp » Wed, 28 Dec 2005 4:44 pm

Thanks for that... I'm still investigating the costs of living, etc. in Singapore... so I wasn't 100% sure on whether it was an exceptional, or just good salary.

My previous job was in Japan, where I earnt around the same amount (after conversion), but to be honest, it wasn't a huge amount there (especially when living in Shibuya), so I didn't save a huge amount of $$.

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Wed, 28 Dec 2005 5:15 pm

If you don't live like a king, you should be able to save quite a bit here...

or at least , I think so... :lol:

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Wed, 28 Dec 2005 11:06 pm

I see. Well, I know an American expat in Tokyo and everytime he talks on living expenses he gets like this -> :x

:D

Rest assured, unless you manage to squander S$1,000 EVERY DAY S$17,000 a month is a helluva moolah for survival and saving!

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Relocation packages

Postby k1w1 » Thu, 29 Dec 2005 9:55 pm

$205,000? Is that monthly? Otherwise, it's very possible you will starve to death and your carcass will be left to the wild cobras that roam the streets at night.

You said:
I've been offered a very attractive compensation package

So you obviously know that it's good - what are you wanting to know really? Do you earn more than everyone else?

Relocation package should include: (anything less and you're just getting screwed royally)

1. Sunscreen allowance
2. Mosquito repellant allowance
3. Three maids - more if you have children or pets. Do NOT let your company tell you this is expensive. These people come from the third world, so it's cheaper to buy them in packs of three.
4. Personal tailor who will make your mongrammed safari suits.
5. Trips home at least twice a year.

All in all, I wouldn't settle for less than half a mill. :wink:

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Fri, 30 Dec 2005 2:11 am

:D:D

Oh, k1w1. Been away from NZ for too long? :P:twisted:

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Fri, 30 Dec 2005 2:04 pm

Mmm, could be. Sorry, OP - just couldn't help myself. :lol:

I lived in Tokyo once too. Honestly, you will be bowled over by what your money will get you here in comparison to there. Much, much bigger apartments and far less noise and pollution etc. Food is far cheaper too.

That same salary in Japan (while still good) is ab-fab in Singapore. Congrats on your new position!

singapore_xp

thanks

Postby singapore_xp » Sat, 31 Dec 2005 5:08 pm

Thanks for all your responses... I'll definitely put in for the sunscreen allowance. Not sure about the 3 maids though.. depends what they can do for me!

I'm glad my $$ will go further in Singapore! You've convinced me to take the job. Sounds like I'm going to enjoy living there.

Incidentally, I just received my offer letter in the mail.. the relocation allowance seems pretty good (packing, shipping, airfare, 1 month accom, and a cash allowance). Far better than what I received in Japan (translation book, train ticket, and a carboard box to live in). Anyone that's lived in Japan will know what a 1K apartment is... tiny tiny.

THanks again.. I hope I can be a good contributor to this forum.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Re: thanks

Postby riversandlakes » Sat, 31 Dec 2005 11:26 pm

You're welcome!

You can definitely stretch your dollar and 2.27x that in neighbouring Malaysia! :D

singapore_xp wrote:Thanks for all your responses... I'll definitely put in for the sunscreen allowance. Not sure about the 3 maids though.. depends what they can do for me!

I'm glad my $$ will go further in Singapore! You've convinced me to take the job. Sounds like I'm going to enjoy living there.

THanks again.. I hope I can be a good contributor to this forum.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Re: thanks

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 03 Jan 2006 8:05 am

singapore_xp wrote:THanks again.. I hope I can be a good contributor to this forum.

With bla bla like this?

I sincerely doubt so.... :-|

Eric