Singapore Expats Forum

Moving House-Boxes or movers?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

yippe

Moving House-Boxes or movers?

Postby yippe » Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:58 am

Hi All..

I am moving house and the stress coming up..sighhh.... we dont have much household stuff so we are planning to rent a truck and therefore pack the house in boxes.. where can we get empty boxes.. or should i get a move instead :-|

Any recommendation?

Cheers
Tara

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Fri, 23 Dec 2005 11:47 am

You have a couple of options.

1) Get a large moving firm to come & move you. Pros; they will be very professional etc & prob have insurance. Cons; $$$$

2) Find a local guy with a truck & an entourage of labourers. If I can find the number of the man we used last time I will pm it to you. He came round had a look at our stuff & quoted around $200. Then he came back & dropped off a load of boxes so we could pack our things ourselves a few days before the move. Pros; cheaper. Cons; You have to pack things yourself.

Best of luck :)
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 23 Dec 2005 2:26 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:You have a couple of options.

1) Get a large moving firm to come & move you. Pros; they will be very professional etc & prob have insurance. Cons; $$$$

2) Find a local guy with a truck & an entourage of labourers. If I can find the number of the man we used last time I will pm it to you. He came round had a look at our stuff & quoted around $200. Then he came back & dropped off a load of boxes so we could pack our things ourselves a few days before the move. Pros; cheaper. Cons; You have to pack things yourself.

Best of luck :)

Ditto the Baron . . . $250 to move our four bedroom place - leaves boxes a week in advance . . . much easier and they have the hassle of lifting etc . . . (PM me as well if you wish, but it looks like the Baron has a cheaper company)

'nuff said Image

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 23 Dec 2005 3:56 pm

Moved earlier this year with Shalom Movers, very efficient, moved in 1 day, left boxes 1 week on beforehand for me to pack, then professional moving and all was done.

500sgd.

Eric

eash

Postby eash » Fri, 23 Dec 2005 4:30 pm

Same, think I paid $250 ....boxes provided ..workers and truck all in ...
they r call Helping Hand...make of ex-cons and ex-druggies....
Man from the East who walks with ease. In this world u need something call cash but all in all u end up nothing but ash.....

yippe

boxes or movers

Postby yippe » Mon, 26 Dec 2005 11:05 am

Hi Hi..
$200 -$250 is bargain basement. I asked ard and some were telling me $500 and above incl boxes. I dont have much; only washer, tv, king size bed and mattress, study desk.. clothes and shoes..

T

vaishali
Regular
Regular

Postby vaishali » Mon, 26 Dec 2005 2:51 pm

We moved recently and were quoted $600, but they moved all our large furniture and boxes for us, and we had a ton of stuff. However, we moved within the building, so no transport cost. They even let us use their trolleys for a week beforehand for stuff we wanted to bring up ourselves I'm sure they'd be cheaper, depending on how much stuff you have. They were even okay with trying and helping with the placement of furniture items, bless their hearts! ;) I think the guy we spoke to was called Thomas.

Emmanuel Removal Centre - 62863479
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no spoon. 8)

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed, 11 Jan 2006 3:34 pm

Sorry if it is too late but I have finally found the number of the guy who moved us last year - Mr Pang 98539222. Cheap, will come round have a gander at your stuff, give you a quote & then deliver boxes so you can pack up your own stuff. Men come round & move the lot is a matter of hours.
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."

Hemingway

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Kimi » Tue, 17 Jan 2006 7:49 pm

what are my alternatives if i'm going to move boxes only but no furniture by any chance?

AirCon

Postby AirCon » Tue, 17 Jan 2006 7:51 pm

I don't think it makes a difference - and why would you want to anyway for the sake of 5 or 10 dollars?