Singapore Expats Forum

Life and death is just a finger snap away.....

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

The Sun*

Life and death is just a finger snap away.....

Postby The Sun* » Thu, 22 Dec 2005 8:02 pm

Bodies of police officers found near Baltimore

Thursday, December 22, 2005;

An investigator enters the townhouse where two Baltimore police were fatally shot Wednesday.

RANDALLSTOWN, Maryland (AP) -- Two Baltimore police officers, a man and a woman, were found shot to death Wednesday at a home in the suburbs, and a state employee suspected in the killings has turned himself in, authorities said.

Police gave no motive for the shootings.

The suspect and the victims knew one another, according to Baltimore County police spokesman Bill Toohey. But he said he did not know their relationship.

The two officers, both assigned to the midnight shift, were shot shortly after noon. County Police Chief Terrence Sheridan said there were no signs of forced entry in the townhouse, which was listed in the male officer's name.

The victims were found on the second floor of the townhome; each had been shot repeatedly.

Neighbor Jerry McDonald said the officer who lived in the townhouse was single and had been dating, among others, a female officer who worked with him.

The suspect, who was not identified, was a police officer for the state Department of General Services and carried a gun as part of his job. Police expected to charge him late Wednesday, Toohey said.

After the suspect surrendered at a police station, officers found the gun used in the shooting. It was not the suspect's service weapon, Toohey said.

The General Services Department provides security at state office buildings in Baltimore and Annapolis. An agency spokesman declined to comment because the suspect had not been charged.

Authorities identified the victims as Adam Vazquez, 26, who had been on the city police force for 4 1/2 years, and Leslie Holliday, 34, who had been an officer for 1 1/2 years.

Three other people were inside the home at the time of the shooting: an adult couple and a small child. Their relationship to Vazquez was not immediately certain, but McDonald said Vazquez's cousin, her husband and their two children had been living with the officer.

At the city police department's northwestern district precinct, where the slain officers worked, officers were visibly upset, crying and talking among themselves. They declined to speak with a reporter.

Crisis counselors were available, and a flag at the precinct was lowered to half-staff.

"Our job now is come together as a department and carry on the job we have to do out on the street," Baltimore Police Commissioner Leonard Hamm said.

:o

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Dec 2005 8:11 pm

And the reason for your post is? #-o ](*,)

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 22 Dec 2005 8:19 pm

He meant to post it at the :

www.randallstownexpat.com site, obviously. SMS, use logic!

'nuff said Image

The Sun*

Postby The Sun* » Thu, 22 Dec 2005 8:24 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:And the reason for your post is? #-o ](*,)

To remind everyone in this season of revelry, that life and death is just a finger snap away. Life hangs by a thin thread. I personally experience it.

My 48 year old family doctor didn't wake up after having a local meal of laksa.

To jolt the senses of those who can't/ or chose to ignore/ or who refuses to acknowledge see the transience and transitory aspect of life.

That their daily routine....could be their last jog, last meal....last ......

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 22 Dec 2005 8:28 pm

See, SMS - perfectly good reasons.

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Dec 2005 8:29 pm

Vaucluse wrote:He meant to post it at the :

www.randallstownexpat.com site, obviously. SMS, use logic!

Don't tell me that you've been to Randallstown! I was actually born in Baltimore at John's Hopkins (that's the ONLY reason I'm here today actually).
Lived in Dundalk, Laurel & Towson. My bad, too much wine for lunch today, logic left about 3 pm.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Dec 2005 8:33 pm

The Sun* wrote:That their daily routine....could be their last jog, last meal....last ......

Doctor, nebermine. How about all the NS guys dropping from Heart Attacks doing their runs. Somehow, this life of Aircon is killing Singaporean guys faster than the terrorists! 48? If I had dropped at 48 I couldn't have complained one bit. If I drop now at 58 still can't complain. I've done all I've ever wanted to do (up to this point in time anyway).

Why worry, life's too short! :mrgreen:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 22 Dec 2005 8:51 pm

The Sun* wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:And the reason for your post is? #-o ](*,)

To remind everyone in this season of revelry, that life and death is just a finger snap away. Life hangs by a thin thread. I personally experience it.

My 48 year old family doctor didn't wake up after having a local meal of laksa.
To jolt the senses of those who can't/ or chose to ignore/ or who refuses to acknowledge see the transience and transitory aspect of life.

That their daily routine....could be their last jog, last meal....last ......

I don't like laksa, so I'll be fine.

'nuff said Image

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Fri, 23 Dec 2005 3:09 am

Doctor? Big deal? Who says doctors get to live forever?

My first cousin studying medicine is the clans' biggest in size - not big-boned. Fitness seems to be missing from the books?
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 23 Dec 2005 9:14 am

riversandlakes wrote:Doctor? Big deal? Who says doctors get to live forever?

My first cousin studying medicine is the clans' biggest in size - not big-boned. Fitness seems to be missing from the books?

Ah, R&L . . . but does he eat laksa? That seems to be the clincher of this story.

'nuff said Image

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 23 Dec 2005 7:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Somehow, this life of Aircon is killing Singaporean guys faster than the terrorists!

death by aircon... very scientific analysis and conclusion there sms. now where's that nobel prize nomination form? :P

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 23 Dec 2005 9:25 pm

How does laksa get into aircon? :o

'nuff said Image

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 23 Dec 2005 9:39 pm

Vaucluse wrote:How does laksa get into aircon? :o

aiya you dunno? nowadays everyone eat laksa in aircon foodcourt what. :roll:

logic vaucluse, logic. laksa is fatal. so is aircon. so laksa eaten in aircon... sure die! :lol:

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:06 pm

Wasn't it in the laksa last year here in bedok, that cholera struck?

I think it was.... These raw, tiny little clams that are being put in the Singapore laksa caused some serious trouble...

But hey... Whats the big deal, deadly food is certainly a hot meal, isn't it? I won't say which one, but there is this fish dish, that if not prepared correctly is 100% poisonous and will make you die instantly?

Anyone knows what I am talking about?

As Georges Bataille put it in his famous philosophical writing "L'erotisme": life, death, sex and food, it is all the same...

Eric

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:17 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote: I won't say which one, but there is this fish dish, that if not prepared correctly is 100% poisonous and will make you die instantly?

Anyone knows what I am talking about?

Eric

I believe you mean Fugu ( a puffer fish served in Japan).

Plavt.