Singapore Expats Forum

considering offer- advise please?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

bluskye

considering offer- advise please?

Postby bluskye » Mon, 19 Dec 2005 3:57 pm

hello fellow posters,

I know that i have seen numerous postings about salary packaging etc, so please forgive me for posting my own separate question yet again.

I have read several posts from other expats needing S$10-15K per month and I suppose my meagre $5K per month offer has got me rather concerned! :(

could you give me a rough idea of the basic costs of living for singles in Singapore? And is it really necessary to get pay tv? are the programs on local channels that poor?

Finally could someone confirm the tax rate for expats in Singapore? 15 or 18%? I have checked the iras website, but still unclear.

Thanks.
Last edited by bluskye on Tue, 21 Feb 2006 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed, 21 Dec 2005 3:33 pm

As you have a housing allowance you will live very well on $5k per month.

You don't have to get cable but you will probably go for it after you have realised that only one English channel (apart from news) is not enough.

Cost of living is quite low in Singapore, it is almost cheaper to eat out than to cook at home - if you eat at the local hawker centres a meal is around S$2.

electricity bills etc really depends on air con use but 1 person will prob be around $150 per month. Phone bills are cheap as well, and there are calling cards or voice over IP to get calls home cheaper.

Most people use public transport which is clean & cheap. If you want to push the boat out a bit ask for a car allowance & see what they say. But don't be put off if they say no, cars are expensive to run here.

Good luck
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 21 Dec 2005 4:40 pm

I would totally agree with the Baron . . . who here is on 15k/month?

Easy living on 5k/month with the housing allowance, cable is only a coupel of dollars a month and you'll want broadband at home - another 50 or so.

After 5 years working you should grab the chance and have a bit of an adventure.

'nuff said Image

bluskye

Postby bluskye » Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:13 am

Thanks guys for your confirmation. Its such a relief to get a bit of reassurance!! Perhaps the 15K per month salary are for those with familise and school fees to pay??

Housing is rather expensive in Singapore, and I dont think tht I could afford my own place without the assistance.

Here's another question. Some discssions on this forum spoke of the Singapore income tax for non-residents at 15% tax rate. However, its also says on the iras.gov.sg that foreign employees who are in Singapore for >183 days per calendar year are actually regarded as residents for taxation purposes. This means that the grauduated rate from 2-28% rate applies. Can anyone shed some light on this? And can our contracts need to be worded in a partuicular way to qualify for the 15 % tax rate?

Cheers,

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:35 am

Uh, that' a tough one. I've never had to pay more than the 15% and that's not even due to creative accounting - surprisingly the tax office is very helpful - I walk down there every year, sit down with one of them and they go through my tax return - they are the ones that suggest deductions and just hand it back for me to sign.

I'm, not saying that everyone should do this as other's tax returns may be more complicated.

Do try the tax office website and send e-mails, they will respond.

http://www.iras.gov.sg/ESVPortal/Home/index.asp

You will be fine, please don't worry about that - you will end up with much more extra working here (and housing is NOT that expensive if you live normally - rental is lower than Sydney, San Francisco or Paris).

'nuff said Image

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ringo100 » Fri, 23 Dec 2005 1:19 am

You will pay approx 5%-6%.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Fri, 23 Dec 2005 3:12 am

That's a good package there for a single, complete with housing allowance. If that's a pay raise for you then don't worry about survival here! :)
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

bluskye

Postby bluskye » Fri, 23 Dec 2005 12:29 pm

Thanks again fellow posters for all your responses and positive encouragement. . Looks like I will be taking the plunge and making my way to the equator in a couple of months.

Eventhough I will be getting less than my current salary, its reassuring to know that I wont struggle to survive on this salary, for a period of a few yearsat least. All work and no play makes me a dull gal.

I look forward to joining you all in person, and finding out where you guys hang out. Read about the WNDC, but not quite into the drinking scene, unless minteral water or OJ? Perhaps on some of the biking activities to P. Ubin?

Merry Xmas!

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Wed, 28 Dec 2005 4:41 am

Rich gal! :o

Makes a hell lot more moolah than I do :(:P:D

bluskye wrote:All work and no play makes me a dull gal.
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.

But the world is full of fluffier ones.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Thu, 29 Dec 2005 10:02 pm

You should come.

The first $20k is not taxed here, so your taxed income is about $40k. It will be lower than what you pay at home, probably. The SG dollar seems to be gaining (touch wood) so you should be able to save a bit too.

Not drinking is a good thing - a very expensive habit here.

Good luck with your move.

bluskye

Postby bluskye » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 5:41 pm

hello! happy new year everyone! Just back from holidays, gone to the bush for a few weeks to forget about the stresses of relocation, contract etc etc... Actually it was to use up whatever leave i have left before my move!

k1w1 wrote:You should come.

The first $20k is not taxed here, so your taxed income is about $40k. It will be lower than what you pay at home, probably. The SG dollar seems to be gaining (touch wood) so you should be able to save a bit too.

Not drinking is a good thing - a very expensive habit here.

Good luck with your move.

Thanks k1w1, and everyone. This is helpful information. Was relieved to know that i will not be out of pocket and struggling to survive on my pay.

Have just started to get quotations from Movers. anyone ever used Asian Tigers? any feedback on their service? And Santa Fe??? - Couldnt find any information on them on the internet, even though advised that they are a major player in the movingindustry.

I have a bunch of electricals from home (OZ), all in good working condition. Would like to bring them with me as this will save me from buying them again. Will they work in Sing?

when connecting my landline, do the phone companies provide a telephone or do we have to purchase one? Will my Australian cordless phone work in Singapore?

Thanks a bunch again!

Kiwi Gal

Postby Kiwi Gal » Mon, 30 Jan 2006 4:19 pm

Hi Kiwis and Aussies,
I'm also planning on moving to Singapore in the next 2-3 months and would be interested to know about phone, internet and cable charges. Is it possible to get the whole lot as a package deal from one service provider? Which is the most reasonably? And can I use my current NZ home and mobile phones over there? Is there a prepay mobile option where you can just buy a Singapore SIM card and use your existing phone straight away?
Thanks in advance!

superfurryanimal

Postby superfurryanimal » Sat, 04 Feb 2006 6:27 am

Kiwi Gal wrote:Hi Kiwis and Aussies,
I'm also planning on moving to Singapore in the next 2-3 months and would be interested to know about phone, internet and cable charges. Is it possible to get the whole lot as a package deal from one service provider? Which is the most reasonably? And can I use my current NZ home and mobile phones over there? Is there a prepay mobile option where you can just buy a Singapore SIM card and use your existing phone straight away?
Thanks in advance!

Yes it's possible to get everything - contact StarHub, they provide cable TV, mobile services as well as broadband services. If you get them all I think you get a discount.

Individually, cable TV costs around $50-80 p/m, broadband costs $56 p/m for unlimited usage (with no restrictions on data transfers like in Australia) and a landline costs about $20-25 p/m tops. Depending on your mobile phone usage you can expect to pay anything from $25 upwards, I use my phone a lot and travel overseas quite frequently so my phone bill usually comes up to $300 or more - IDD and roaming charges account for most of that.

Yes you can get a prepaid SIM card but it's not worth it because as you will know prepaid cards cost alot more per minute than if you get a regular phone line. It's very convenient applying for a phone line here, you don't need a bank statement or proof of address like you do in UK/Australia, just pop into any mobile phone shop and you're done. You just need your passport. And the mobile phone shops open till late and on weekends as well, unlike UK/Australia!