Singapore Expats Forum

Gifting - it's the thought that counts....right??

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

asiandivergal

Gifting - it's the thought that counts....right??

Postby asiandivergal » Sun, 18 Dec 2005 2:01 pm

The art of gifting - is a very fine art. You learn with age. Or should I say you realize after some time.

When a friend of mine Liza from the Bright Lights Big City (KL) came back to her kampung for the kenduri (wedding feast/celebrations), a curious me wanted to know the kind of gifts exchanged hands in the kampung these days (it is not a traditional custom in these parts for weddings). I asked L if I could be present during the gift-opening ceremony. She reluctantly agreed. Perhaps, because she owed me RM50. It was a big affair. Her grandma, who cannot walk was also wheeled in from the next room.

While L’s mother wanted the biggest gift to be opened first, L said she wanted to go from the smallest to the biggest. The issue was finally settled. She picked up the smallest gift...it had come from a common friend of ours. The guy had gifted four tea cups with saucers. “Bastard!,”

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Dec 2005 2:27 pm

Don't know if it's a curtural thing or not. This recycling of gifts. It may well be done worldwide, It just that I was never aware of it until I came to Singapore those many years ago. I notice that the practice is very, very prevalent in Singapore. I guess it's that "pragmatic" thing.

Unfortunately, I cannot bring myself to do it. Even though, as you pointed out, after 5 or 6 gifts (18!) of the same thing what to do! For me, I can't belittle myself by giving my leftovers or surplus to someone else as a 'gift'. I'd rather donate it to charity. To me it seems more like recycling. I would hate to be known as a person who only gives 'gifts' that are my castoffs. That would be the ultimate loss of face (even for a 'faceless' Yank like myself).

I was brought up to believe it was the thought that counts, not the cost. If I don't think any more of the person, than to just give my leftovers, I'd rather not give anything at all. But, like I said, it's only my opinion. Maybe some of our local posters can give you a more local (or accepted practice) approach.

sms

asiandivergal

Postby asiandivergal » Sun, 18 Dec 2005 4:05 pm

ok first thing off, the original post was meant to be "sarcastic"...especially since Christmas is coming, and gifting is a very important component in the Christmas celebrations (to most people at least). What I question is the way most people practise gifting these days.

Whether it's a recycled gift or not...is actually not important to me - I actually prefer to spend time with my loved ones and close friends, over a home-cooked meal. I rarely have time for friends and family what with my frenetic travelling, and when my German friend whom I have not met for over 6 months, presented me with a pot of curry chicken as a birthday gift, I was moved to tears.

I mean...a German cooking Curry Chicken?? That had to be the best gift I ever received. I would have jumped his bones if he was not gay :P

So yes, it's the thought behind the gift that matters most. Love and care can only be the best gift anyone of us can receive.

Oh and the towel to L - in my best defence - I hated him and I caught him smacking Jetti once - it's only fair I presented him with a souvenir compliments from Jetti too :P not very christian like of me, i know, and I did make him his favourite potato pancakes the next day :oops: