Singapore Expats Forum

Why Women Are Label SPG when hanging out with non-local Men

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

LisaLicious

Why Women Are Label SPG when hanging out with non-local Men

Postby LisaLicious » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 12:57 am

it pisses me off that women are labeled as Singapore Party Girls ( SPGs) if they hang out with non local men. what is the big deal about it?
I have seen see these typical and shallow locals gawking and rudely pointing at women who happen to be having intimate or casual moments with non local men. whats the big deal? this never happen when men hang out with non local women. in fact, they are seen to be of a credible person for being able to hook out with any blondie or red head ( sorry, i dont mean to stereotype\. just using it as an example). no one would want to label them Singapore Party Guys ( another example which strongly sounds like some gay movement *no discrimination here! take note* )

SO... justify why we Women are Label as SPGs. i cant have a quiet evening with my non local boyfriend without having to endure stares, whisperings and finger pointings. yes i tried to shut them off, stare at them back or just ignore them. but oh my god, i have limits too!

share with me your thoughts on this topic.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 1:12 am

Lisa,

Why do you care? Does it bother you what other people think? Do you have a lot a non-local male friends?

Do you tend to hang out with first one and then another? I ask only because it is you who is using an avatar of a Flirt. If you think that the avatar is your embodiment on this forum, then I might tend to think the same way.

I've been married to a local girl for 23+ years. She wasn't a Flirt nor was she an SPG. And I really had to work hard to get the first date with her (a lunch at that). I would say it would be your actions - how you conduct yourself that would be instrumental in giving you a "reputation" as it were.

Your conduct will usually be a pretty good discription of the person.

sms

vaishali
Regular
Regular

Re: Why Women Are Label SPG when hanging out with non-local

Postby vaishali » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 1:15 am

LisaLicious wrote:it pisses me off that women are labeled as Singapore Party Girls ( SPGs) if they hang out with non local men. what is the big deal about it?
I have seen see these typical and shallow locals gawking and rudely pointing at women who happen to be having intimate or casual moments with non local men. whats the big deal? this never happen when men hang out with non local women. in fact, they are seen to be of a credible person for being able to hook out with any blondie or red head ( sorry, i dont mean to stereotype\. just using it as an example). no one would want to label them Singapore Party Guys ( another example which strongly sounds like some gay movement *no discrimination here! take note* )

SO... justify why we Women are Label as SPGs. i cant have a quiet evening with my non local boyfriend without having to endure stares, whisperings and finger pointings. yes i tried to shut them off, stare at them back or just ignore them. but oh my god, i have limits too!

share with me your thoughts on this topic.

Interesting you bring this up. I think most people associate spgs with women who dress sluttily, and who look like they are with the man just because he is not local. As long as you don't dress with your boobs hanging out or with a skirt the size of a belt, you shouldn't be getting stares.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 1:24 am

vaishali wrote:nteresting you bring this up. .......... and who look like they are with the man just because he is not local.

Just curious, how does one look like they are with somebody just because is isn't local? Is it how they hold their mouth, their posture, in their eyes? Or is it just because they are with somebody not of their own kind? How would you discribe their look? I am really interested in hearing you expound a little further on this.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 1:26 am

Is it SPG season here again? :?

People, it is time we start taking off those label stickers. Let local girls freely date the caucasian or whatever.

And if women here brand themselves with FLIRT labels in their avatar, by all means let them do so?

Why judge them?

Lisa, I wouldnot mind if I were you. Date, do it on the dancefloor, whatever girl, enjoy. It's your man, it's your world, just do it (yep, I am a fan of Nike).

Can we all stop branding or labelling people?

Long live the SPG girls!

Come on, we all love them, don't we?

btw, is it not Sarong Party Girl instead of Singapore Party Girl?

Eric

LisaLicious

Postby LisaLicious » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 1:30 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Lisa,

Why do you care? Does it bother you what other people think? Do you have a lot a non-local male friends?

Do you tend to hang out with first one and then another? I ask only because it is you who is using an avatar of a Flirt. If you think that the avatar is your embodiment on this forum, then I might tend to think the same way.

I've been married to a local girl for 23+ years. She wasn't a Flirt nor was she an SPG. And I really had to work hard to get the first date with her (a lunch at that). I would say it would be your actions - how you conduct yourself that would be instrumental in giving you a "reputation" as it were.

sms

nah.. the FLIRT at my avatar was because i do not have any image that is less than 10kb. bummer~ but i have already uploaded my pic. case by case... i do not have "a lot" of non local men as friends. women, yes. but men. not that many. its more of like a "hi....bye!" kind of thing.

my conduct around this people are pretty casual not slutty. its more of like hanging out with your best buddy kind of thing. i did asked around and it boils down to the jealousy. now, why would anyone would be jealous because of this? some said, local tend to have the fixed mindset that only good looking girls can be with a caucasian men ( for eg). when i am with my boyfriend and we are doing normal couple things like holding hand and hugging, people look at us weirdly. gosh, how shallow of them to think that only gorgeous people can have a caucasian for a bf... this is so implausible.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 1:32 am

LisaLicious wrote:when i am with my boyfriend and we are doing normal couple things like holding hand and hugging, people look at us weirdly. gosh, how shallow of them to think that only gorgeous people can have a caucasian for a bf... this is so implausible.

Bingo, got it!

Now I know why I never got the stares when walking with a local lady around here....

cause she is gorgeous.... 8)

Eric

vaishali
Regular
Regular

Postby vaishali » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 1:35 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
vaishali wrote:nteresting you bring this up. .......... and who look like they are with the man just because he is not local.

Just curious, how does one look like they are with somebody just because is isn't local? Is it how they hold their mouth, their posture, in their eyes? Or is it just because they are with somebody not of their own kind? How would you discribe their look? I am really interested in hearing you expound a little further on this.

What I meant, and I should have elaborated on this, was that you can usually tell if the girl is with a guy "just because". You can usually tell in their body language, they hang onto the guy, look around wanting people to notice them. That is what I meant.

LisaLicious

Postby LisaLicious » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 1:35 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Is it SPG season here again? :?

People, it is time we start taking off those label stickers. Let local girls freely date the caucasian or whatever.

And if women here brand themselves with FLIRT labels in their avatar, by all means let them do so?

Why judge them?

Lisa, I wouldnot mind if I were you. Date, do it on the dancefloor, whatever girl, enjoy. It's your man, it's your world, just do it (yep, I am a fan of Nike).

Can we all stop branding or labelling people?

Long live the SPG girls!

Come on, we all love them, don't we?

btw, is it not Sarong Party Girl instead of Singapore Party Girl?

Eric

haha yeah it is Sarong Party Girls... typo Error. hey thanks Eric. the avater is just an image. as flirty as a girl that i am, hey, im not the flity slutty kinda person. haha fan of nike!

well sweetie, i tell you, i did not care about it for some time, but it got worst. its like.. the more u cant be bothered, the more they spit in ur face. omg.... :x
patience.....is a necessity.

vaishali
Regular
Regular

Postby vaishali » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 1:37 am

LisaLicious wrote:

sms

nah.. the FLIRT at my avatar was because i do not have any image that is less than 10kb. bummer~ but i have already uploaded my pic. case by case... i do not have "a lot" of non local men as friends. women, yes. but men. not that many. its more of like a "hi....bye!" kind of thing.

my conduct around this people are pretty casual not slutty. its more of like hanging out with your best buddy kind of thing. i did asked around and it boils down to the jealousy. now, why would anyone would be jealous because of this? some said, local tend to have the fixed mindset that only good looking girls can be with a caucasian men ( for eg). when i am with my boyfriend and we are doing normal couple things like holding hand and hugging, people look at us weirdly. gosh, how shallow of them to think that only gorgeous people can have a caucasian for a bf... this is so implausible.

Lisalicious, you're right, they are probably jealous. I get the same looks from women when I'm walking around with my husband.

LisaLicious

Postby LisaLicious » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 1:38 am

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
LisaLicious wrote:when i am with my boyfriend and we are doing normal couple things like holding hand and hugging, people look at us weirdly. gosh, how shallow of them to think that only gorgeous people can have a caucasian for a bf... this is so implausible.

Bingo, got it!

Now I know why I never got the stares when walking with a local lady around here....

cause she is gorgeous.... 8)

Eric

lol.. so she is gorgeous that no one would look at you?

i still dun get it.. the men NEVER get labeled if he hangs around with a white chick or whatever... this is unfair and injust! :x

LisaLicious

Postby LisaLicious » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 1:40 am

vaishali wrote:
LisaLicious wrote:

sms

Lisalicious, you're right, they are probably jealous. I get the same looks from women when I'm walking around with my husband.

thanks Honey... see.. its Husband.. surely they can see the wedding rings.. and i thought singapore was THAT modernized and Open. :x

vaishali
Regular
Regular

Postby vaishali » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 1:54 am

LisaLicious wrote:
vaishali wrote:
LisaLicious wrote:

sms

thanks Honey... see.. its Husband.. surely they can see the wedding rings.. and i thought singapore was THAT modernized and Open. :x

You'd be surprised, I've had women tell me that "anyone can buy a ring like that and wear it and pretend to be married". Crazy, I know. They just don't want to believe that a girl like me could get a guy like my hubby.

*shrugs* A lot of women are annoying like that Lisa, you just have to deal with it somehow.

LisaLicious

Postby LisaLicious » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 1:57 am

:mad: :mad: :x :x

HOW ANNOYING!!! omg... :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting:

yeah have to deal with it somehow.. though i would prefer to be "hands on" and teach them a lesson or two on manners. :wink:

vaishali
Regular
Regular

Postby vaishali » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 2:00 am

LisaLicious wrote::mad: :mad: :x :x

HOW ANNOYING!!! omg... :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting:

yeah have to deal with it somehow.. though i would prefer to be "hands on" and teach them a lesson or two on manners. :wink:

rofl, you sound like me. I've done that, gotten into a few screaming matches with women who have asked my husband in front of me "why don't you leave her and come with me, you need a real woman". Erm, yeh, like I'm going to take that without retaliating in some way!!

Just try not to care what people think. I've come to accept that I'm going to have to deal with women hitting on my husband for as long as he is desirable to other women. :) I try to take it in stride, as long as they don't insult me, I'm fine ;)