Singapore Expats Forum

Hopes and Fears for the Future

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Hopes and Fears for the Future

Postby CardZeus » Thu, 15 Dec 2005 4:23 pm

As the New Year approaches I thought I'd ask for your input on what you think will be the 'next big thing'? Already today we're doing things that would have been considered fantasy 100 years ago.
So, what do we think the world will look like in another 100 years (assuming we don't annihilate ourselves!)

For me, I think one of the big advances will be in 'molecular electronics' - where the IC is replaced by a single molecule.

Biochips and biosensors - will be integrated into mobile phones - be able to detect all manner of ailments - a bit scary too as Government might not want you to be aware, for instance, that you are carrying, say, bird flu virus - so they receive notification, locate you through your phone and have you picked up and quarantined... so there's my greatest fear for the future - an Orwellian nighhtmare...
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.