Singapore Expats Forum

Differences between Asians and Westerners

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

YF
Regular
Regular

Postby YF » Fri, 16 Dec 2005 7:16 pm

Vancluse: I argument is spurious. You hijacked a couple of snippets but I don't think you gave the work a fair analysis. You called it "pseudo-intellectual" but it was clearly science, you criticized the author for not being asian enough for your tastes, when a good portion of the research was done by east asians. I think this is an important research area, and yes, it is in its infancy so there are going to be some growing pains. I can't say I agreed with everything in the book, but the take home points were well established.

To everyone else: I still recomend the book. It takes a sceintific look at these questions and comes up with some suprising results that fly in the face of the contemporary model of human psychology. I have gained a better appreciation for WHY there are the differences between the east and the west and I think this is important for mutual unerstanding and tolerance.

And thanks, yes, I am loving my time in Singapore -- the heat did get to me today! People have been super nice, its so modern, and clean. And I love how there are trees everywhere. Its like a forest!

-Rob

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Fri, 16 Dec 2005 8:07 pm

Define "American".

YF
Regular
Regular

Postby YF » Fri, 16 Dec 2005 8:57 pm

Read the book ;)

-Rob

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:23 pm

YF wrote:Vancluse: I argument is spurious. You hijacked a couple of snippets but I don't think you gave the work a fair analysis.

And thanks, yes, I am loving my time in Singapore -- the heat did get to me today! People have been super nice, its so modern, and clean. And I love how there are trees everywhere. Its like a forest!

-Rob

Not spurious at all - quite a bizarre thing to say when I quoted - you term this as hijacking??? :o I'm sure you'd make a great academic . . . handbags at dawn.

I find the book is not worth the paper it's printed on, plus I believe that the Arapaho, Inuit or Apache (as Americans) would have a different world view alltogether. (Nice one, K1w1)

Anyway, peace Rob, enjoy your time here, gald you like 'our' little island in the sun.

'nuff said Image

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:41 pm

YF, he does mean glad and not gald. :lol:
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:45 pm

sapphire wrote:YF, he does mean glad and not gald. :lol:

Gald:

1 entry found for gald.
gal/d
gal/d: in CancerWEB's On-line Medical Dictionary

Source: On-line Medical Dictionary, © 1997-98 Academic Medical Publishing & CancerWEB

Harrumph!!!

'nuff said Image

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:46 pm

Yes I confirm he means glad, not gald or dalg. Despite the appearances, he's a nice guy, believe me. Even a pretty guy if I may say. :P

So you are in our fine city? Until when? I have to say I'd like to pop up and meet you somewhere, sometime.
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:47 pm

Oops did not notice "he" was online. Still I confirm "he" can be nice.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:48 pm

OI, you two - enough. That's it, I'm packing my picnic and going to bed!

'nuff said Image

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:52 pm

Have a nice dinner and a good night then, Mr V!

YF
Regular
Regular

Postby YF » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:13 pm

Did you ever notice that you are usually unable to have an intellectual discussion without trying to get personal? Wow...you really are one insecure little individual arn't you? A "sly" little cut-down here, and a dash of sarcasm there (the lowest form of humor i've heard) -- propping yourself up ("I am/was an academic") and putting others down ("I'm sure you'd make a great academic"). It's all such a cliche.

Yeah, and your dogmatic attitude can get a little irritating after awhile.

-Rob

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:26 pm

YF wrote:Did you ever notice that you are usually unable to have an intellectual discussion without trying to get personal? Wow...you really are one insecure little individual arn't you? A "sly" little cut-down here, and a dash of sarcasm there (the lowest form of humor i've heard) -- propping yourself up ("I am/was an academic") and putting others down ("I'm sure you'd make a great academic"). It's all such a cliche.

Yeah, and your dogmatic attitude can get a little irritating after awhile.

-Rob

Possibly my attitude can get a little irritating to YOU after a while, whereas your entire persona does get annoying after no time at all.

As far as being insecure, you would find that that is one foible I don't possess (please feel free to ask any of the forum members that I am acquainted with in real life - I guess you're talking out of your arse on this one) - and please do make sense in your postings - if you are talking about point and counterpoint then that is what constitutes a discussion - my apologies if I don't agree with your assessment of the book - live with it.

As far as getting personal, I think you're doing a splendid job of that yourself, but why let facts get in the way of a good story . . . oh, yes the book you are plugging . . .

Possibly we could discuss more intellectual issues in MY mother tongue instead of yours, it could balance things out a bit - nah, not necessary.

Do enjoy your time here, we need a few more of your kind among us, possibly your next suggestion to those of us living here would be about why Asians eat rice and we eat potatoes.

'nuff said Image

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sun, 18 Dec 2005 9:46 pm

Actually, Vaucluse is pretty insecure.

Alright, he's pretty, but not insecure, far from it.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:02 pm

sapphire wrote:Actually, Vaucluse is pretty insecure.

Sigh . . . . friends will be friends . . .

'nuff said Image

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:42 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
sapphire wrote:Actually, Vaucluse is pretty insecure.

Sigh . . . . friends will be friends . . .

Ain't that sweet? :D