Singapore Expats Forum

Bradley Murdoch

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Plavt
Director
Director

Bradley Murdoch

Postby Plavt » Wed, 14 Dec 2005 3:03 am

A poster recently commented in another thread 'we have better forensics today'. If that is true then why did it take so long to convict Bradley Murdoch? Does anyone know the answer? My only information as usual is the BBC and online newspapers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4524084.stm

Plavt.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 14 Dec 2005 7:46 am

Does this explain why Australia instead rather chooses to make criminals like Van Nguyen heroes? :-|

Eric

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Wed, 14 Dec 2005 7:56 am

My question is; why did it take so long to convict Bradley Murdoch in the light of forensic evidence. I think van Nguyen is best kept out of the debate.

Plavt.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 14 Dec 2005 8:34 am

Open discussions please, Plavt? :(

Eric

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Wed, 14 Dec 2005 8:40 am

Sorry, agree with Eric, we are all free to meander, and we do, all too often....

OK, off to bed now....it's nearly 1am here in Wales and I should be writing chrissy cards but can't be bothered.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 14 Dec 2005 8:41 am

nite nite Bubbs,

sweet dreams for later... :)

Eric

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Postby CardZeus » Wed, 14 Dec 2005 8:55 am

The problem with advances in forensics is that most juries will be swayed by expert testimony to the fact that the odds are billions to one against it being someone else. It only takes one cop to plant such evidence...
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 14 Dec 2005 9:21 am

. . . and it only takes one 'eyewitness' to falsely identify someone - I'd rather rely on science.

'nuff said Image

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:15 am

on a serious note then, I agree with cardzeus and vaucluse, these cases are so delicate and on the other hand so easy to manipulate with 'evidence'.

I can't say why, but I just doubt the Australia justice system, when reading about these kind of cases in the so called 'outback' (thought the whole country was quite an outback?).

Eric

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Wed, 14 Dec 2005 6:05 pm

Eric has a good point, a problem with the jury system employed in Britain is that smart criminals can fool or confuse people with the evidence made available. Not everybody and not infrequently the entire personage of a jury will have no understanding of what is going on and sometimes won't want to. An example of such for those who know is the Guinness trial at the end of which the judge said to the jury 'well I'm an educated man and I don't understand these things so I don't expect you to' (he was referring to stocks and shares). In that situation it would be only too easy to manipulate evidence.

Plavt.

Frenzy

CSI Effect

Postby Frenzy » Thu, 15 Dec 2005 8:08 pm

Plavt wrote:Eric has a good point, a problem with the jury system employed in Britain is that smart criminals can fool or confuse people with the evidence made available. Not everybody and not infrequently the entire personage of a jury will have no understanding of what is going on and sometimes won't want to.

Although the opposite could also be true if you're one to believe the news media.

Recently there has been what is referred to as the "CSI Effect" impacting the outcomes of cases. Juries are now becoming more educated about forensics and placing a higher bar on the evidence presented by prosecutors. Google "CSI Effect".

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... fect_x.htm
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... 3_csi.html
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/culture/ar ... /25csi.htm
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/03/ ... 1949.shtml
If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread,
they can sure make something out of you.
-- Muhammad Ali

Return to “General Discussions”