Singapore Expats Forum

Would you prefer to fly by Budget Airline?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

emiko08
Chatter
Chatter

Would you prefer to fly by Budget Airline?

Postby emiko08 » Tue, 13 Dec 2005 2:54 pm

Budget Airlines is on the increase like Tiger Airways, Air Asia (thats all i can think of!) the prices are very VERY cheap. flying to Bangkok inclusive of taxes one-way is only about S$70. The food on board have to be paid from your own pockets, which mean it does not include food and beverages. My friend said that the service is very poor though.

Some would take the Budget Airline to save cost. Compard to the normal Airlines, the money they save can be spent on SHOPPING instead.

i've never tried taking Budget Airlines and probably i never will. i just don't feel safe. (thats not the only reason, but its one of the main reason) :oops:

have you taken the budget airline before? what was the experience like?

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 13 Dec 2005 2:59 pm

Tiger is fine, seeing as their technical maintenance and general training is following strict guidelines. What bothered me about these guys was that at the very end of internet booking they whack on an administration charge!!! WTF is that for? It's all done by yourself - I wrote to them to get an explanation - NOTHING. Arseholes.

New planes, well trained staff.

AirAsia . . . . no, thanks.

'nuff said Image

emiko08
Chatter
Chatter

Postby emiko08 » Tue, 13 Dec 2005 3:03 pm

Oh yes. I heard about the Admin Charge.

How much does it cost? :o

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 13 Dec 2005 3:12 pm

Not much, I can't remember - somewhere around 15-20, but it's the audacity of charging an admin fee for an internet service. . . .

'nuff said Image

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Tue, 13 Dec 2005 3:12 pm

I usually fly Jetstar asia. Great planes, good service too.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue, 13 Dec 2005 3:21 pm

Budget airlines are perfectly safe - no worries there.

It really depends on your personal attitude to flying, if you see the means of transportation as just that, a way of getting from A to B, then budget travel is for you. If however you like to feel pampered & prefer business or first class then not for you. Simple really :)
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Tue, 13 Dec 2005 6:36 pm

In the UK budget airlines have proved extremely popular most notably Easy Jet and Ryan Air which have some of the most ludicrously low prices available. However, much like their competitors you must book well in advance to get the best deals otherwise there is not much difference in price. Another unfortunate feature is; being budget airlines they take a few 'short-cuts' evident by sloppy administration. It happens they sometimes have no plane available for more than 24hrs when people are taking a three day break. All the same they are popular and safety seems to be as good as any other reputable airline.

Plavt.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 13 Dec 2005 6:44 pm

Two friends and I went with BMI Baby from Cardiff to Charles de Gaulle (Paris) this summer for £40 each, return. Then, through them too, we got a hotel for £40 a night, great value in Paris, nice hotel too, in the 17th Arrondisment........the flight was basic, one cuppa and a bikkie, but it was fab value, no problems at all.

I must add here...........I LOVE PARIS...........have you ever been folks? It was the most beautiful summer day, so hot, we ate on the Champs in a cafe, saw the Louvre, the Sacre Coeur, the Eiffel...all of it....ate at night in the artists quarter, sat in on midnight mass...so beautiful. Lovers everywhere...it is a lovers city. I fell in love with it there and then and if anyone says any different, well, they must be .....oh I don't know, unusual....Vive la France.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 13 Dec 2005 7:59 pm

Bubbs, I love Paris. Was thinking of going again this summer with my teenage entourage. I just love the food and the museums and the parks and, yes -- even the people. Love it.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 13 Dec 2005 8:03 pm

Re: budget airlines. Not worried a hoot about the safety issue, but often times the service fees knock the price up to the same range as SQ. Mr. Bailey is in the top 100 of overall flyers in Singapore Airlines history, so I get a guy who meets me at the airport every time I fly and whisks me through check-in, etc... I have to say, it's quite nice. If the timing works and the $19.90 fare is really that, I'll fly Tiger or whoever, (and have!). I rarely have to pay for a flight though, we have a lot of miles.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 13 Dec 2005 8:13 pm

Last edited by dot dot dot on Wed, 17 May 2006 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 13 Dec 2005 8:18 pm

Last edited by dot dot dot on Wed, 17 May 2006 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 13 Dec 2005 8:43 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
Bubbs (and also La Reinne),

Finally found a disagreement: I hate Paris. :cry:

Eric

Yes, figured as much. But love it too much to care at all. As a graphic designer/artist I love it just for the fonts alone!

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Tue, 13 Dec 2005 8:46 pm

Last edited by dot dot dot on Wed, 17 May 2006 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Tue, 13 Dec 2005 11:44 pm

Hey, Vaucluse, what's with AirAsia-bashing. It's the pioneer and the #1 budget airline at least in SEA. ALSO the official budget airline sponsor for Manchester United.
May I point out in the open that it fails to get landing rights at Changi exactly because it'll overwhelm the struggling local budget airlines here?
Stick to Bush-bashing please :P

Been flying only AirAsia all these while. Imagine a total of RM9.99+30 (airport tax) from Kuala Lumpur to Senai, then here :D
Well, at least AA hides behind the legal obligation of airport tax, instead of the lame excuse admin charge :o

I'm all for budget airlines. For the OP, ever heard of budget airliners falling off the sky? What makes you think they're outside of the regulations requiring trained pilots and regularly-maintained aircrafts?

The furor on MAS now is that it pays RM1 for an egg. Hence it's fares. Now we know the fares are bloated. AirAsia, for example, just gets rid of the egg altogether!
Last edited by riversandlakes on Tue, 13 Dec 2005 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.