Singapore Expats Forum

Visiting India

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

cneil

Visiting India

Postby cneil » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:14 pm

I'm an American who will be visiting Delhi next week. Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:22 pm

Yup, beware of the taxi drivers. Not that you can do much, but some take long winded routes to the destination. Other than that, have fun.

Oh and avoid any roadside stalls for food, drink bottled water (Bisleri/Aquafina brand).

It'll be a little chilly, carry warm clothes.

If you have time, you can visit the Qutab Minar, Red Fort and many other historical places. Some lovely restaurants, great shopping (always, always bargain). Unless its a big store or boutique. Enjoy your trip!
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: Visiting India

Postby Plavt » Tue, 13 Dec 2005 2:41 am

cneil wrote:I'm an American who will be visiting Delhi next week. Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks

Haven't been to India myself but as a one time Anglo-Indian friend advised; take anything a doctor tells you need and keep a sharp eye on your wallet. If staying in cities a set of ear plugs migth be a good idea too as a flight attendant friend of mine says. Hope you have an interesting time.

Plavt.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 13 Dec 2005 8:17 am

Don't drink the tap water. (serious!)

'nuff said Image

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Visiting India

Postby Global Citizen » Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:22 am

cneil wrote:I'm an American who will be visiting Delhi next week. Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks

You've been given some pretty good advice already but I'd just like to add that India can be an assault on the senses; the sights, the sounds and the smells. Look beyond these and have an open attitude and you'll find a wonderful country rich in history, art and beauty.

You learn lessons in humility, spirituality and kindness just by observing the daily grind of survival some Indians go through for 2 very basic meals most of us take for granted. I was there in January this year and I had a blast and I would go back again in a heartbeat to visit. Traffic is chaotic while shopping is fantastic and affordable and I went to the emporium in Connaught Place for some beautiful pieces of artwork and the usual trinkets elsewhere.
One man's meat is another's poison.

cneil

India was Great! Thanks for the Advice

Postby cneil » Sat, 31 Dec 2005 1:16 pm

Hello,
I am safely back from India and I think I had a wonderful holiday trip. I want to thank the few folks who offered advice.

I stayed with a friend in Madras for a couple of days. Next I took the train (36 hours) to Delhi. I stayed at a nice bed and breakfast called Ess Gee's. It is in East Patel Negar and I highly recommend it. The accomodations are not the nicest, but the hotel staff will take care of you and watch out for you. I took a day trip to Agra with a tour group, spent some time walking around Old Delhi, completed a 10k walking tour of New Delhi, and visited a Grandi Museum. And, best of all, I did not suffer any gut problems!

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Re: India was Great! Thanks for the Advice

Postby Global Citizen » Sun, 01 Jan 2006 7:39 am

cneil wrote:Hello,
I am safely back from India and I think I had a wonderful holiday trip. I want to thank the few folks who offered advice.

I stayed with a friend in Madras for a couple of days. Next I took the train (36 hours) to Delhi. I stayed at a nice bed and breakfast called Ess Gee's. It is in East Patel Negar and I highly recommend it. The accomodations are not the nicest, but the hotel staff will take care of you and watch out for you. I took a day trip to Agra with a tour group, spent some time walking around Old Delhi, completed a 10k walking tour of New Delhi, and visited a Grandi Museum. And, best of all, I did not suffer any gut problems!

Glad to hear you had a good time. I too visited the Taj Mahal for the first time and was blown away by its majestic beauty. Good to know you didn't suffer from any gut issues. :wink:
One man's meat is another's poison.