Singapore Expats Forum

Christmas/Year End Bonus for Maid?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Christmas/Year End Bonus for Maid?

Postby Wham » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:29 pm

I am curious what is the normal year end Bonus that we should give to our maid? My wife suggested one month's salary. I am just curious if this is low, normal or high? What do most Singaporeans do? Any thoughts appreciated...
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:33 pm

We have always given our maids a 'thirteenth month' bonus. I buy a few things to put under the tree as well: goop from the Body Shop, etc... But cash is clearly 'king'.

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 2:44 pm

Thanks. Think we will just do the one month also. Am i to gather from the enormous number of responses that we are alone in this?
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 2:47 pm

Oh, oh, how condescending is that Wham? Sheesh! How about if I say I don't have a maid to offer advice to you? And, that Mary's post pretty much covered it all. :roll:

PS. FYI, I am not a Singaporean. :P
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 2:52 pm

Well Saphire... I just couldn't help myself.

But then again, neither could you - so i am in good company.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 3:13 pm

This kind of brings up an interesting point. Don't maids have work contracts? Don't you sign saying that she will get the 13 month bonus, and how much that will be, what her duties are etc?

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 3:17 pm

As far as I know, the contracts are not nearly that specific. None of ours have ever been. Plus, how can you really contractually be obligated to a certain amount for a 'bonus'?

My husband's bonuses have varied from a big, fat $0. to two or three times his salary (ah.... those were the days...).

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 3:38 pm

Go on give her a months wages as a bonus, tis the season of goodwill to men (& maids), giving is better than receiving and all of that stuff. Won't bankrupt you & it will be wonderful for her. Go on just do it, you know it is a kind & generous thing to do.
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 3:57 pm

BGB - I BELEIVE MHB was quite clear that she normally gives one month. It also seemed like the right thing to me. I was honestly just wondering if there are others who do something more.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 5:03 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:Go on give her a months wages as a bonus, tis the season of goodwill to men (& maids), giving is better than receiving and all of that stuff. Won't bankrupt you & it will be wonderful for her. Go on just do it, you know it is a kind & generous thing to do.

Baron, Wham is correct. You are definitely preaching to the choir! I have always done this, and probably always will.

On a related note: my friend's maid came home yesterday after her day off, hysterically crying to the point of breathlessness. A seemingly nice, 'english speaking white man in a nice car', asked her if she wanted a ride as she walked to the bus stop. She thought he must somehow know her employers so she said, yes. No eye-rolling please. He then, of course made some kind of excuse and said: I need to stop at my apartment. When she went upstairs, he immediately tried to kiss her & grab her -- she said 'no, no, no' and managed to get away. Amazing considering she's about 4' 10". She got away and got on a bus and sobbed for hours until she finally came home.

She told her employer, my friend what happened, they called the police and the good news is: my friend said the police could not have been more supportive and helpful.

Looks like they'll be able to charge the guy and hopefully save some other poor unsuspecting maid from an even worse fate.

Talk about prejudices:

She trusted him because he was white
The police gave her a fair deal in part because her employer was American
He prayed upon her because she was Filapina

Now that's what I call a vicious cycle (with a happy ending).

:wink:

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 5:04 pm

Wham you are spot on. I was just adding my seal of approval to the suggestion
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."

Hemingway

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 5:07 pm

Wham wrote:Well Saphire... I just couldn't help myself.

But then again, neither could you - so i am in good company.

Touché! :)
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 5:56 pm

Give her a months extra bonus and if she wants a trip back to her home if you are away - After all she has looked after your family all year nd the least she deserves is to see her own...

(BTW with cheap air flights to just aboput anywhere in SE Asia the cost is maybe less then half her monhtly wage anyway)
Be Like Water

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 7:27 pm

MHB, what a horrible story - and nice to hear what sounds like a happy ending.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 9:39 pm

We always gave a month's salary, in cash to the maid at Christmas, with extra little pressies under the tree. We usually flew home for the holidays so she could do pretty much what she wanted to do for those two weeks.

If she'd wanted to go home, she could have, but I did not pay for flights. She was welcome to any food, drink etc and to have her friends over to a party or to stay. She was a member of the family in many ways but it was up to her to buy her own flights home as we paid her over the market wages....$450 in 1994 when she started and it went up every year, so she had considerably more than that per month when we left after four years together.

I paid for one return flight a year for her anyway as we planned it so that she went home when we went on our long summer vacation.

You're right, they may be pleased with small gifts but money is the best present for them.

Bubbs.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.