Singapore Expats Forum

Sydney Race Riots

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 22 Dec 2005 9:23 am

A very good point, GC.
I happen to feel that Quebec has a point, and the right for self-determination, even self-governing and full independence.
Who are we, today, to say that national and international boundaries that were only drawn up a few hundred years ago (in otehr parts of the world less athna 100 years ago) are the be all and end all of history?
We need only look at Europe, Africa, Asia, N and S America to see that this is not the case.
Francophone Canadians have the right to be a separate enity if they so desire - despite all the hysteria whooped up by the anglo-dominated media to the contrary, poking fun at the couple of million people in Quebec who yearn for self-determination.
I realise it is possibly not the majority of the population as cross-mgration has certainly watered down the percentage of Francophone Canadians.
The Anglo press ridicules the requirement of street signs, government documents and others in French and English - hang on - - - we have that in many countries with a far smaller number of minorities. In Australia you have 20-odd languages for a drivers license exam, government information and even Vietnamese and Korean street signs.

Sorry, I'm slightly off topic.

I think the reason why the US is perceived as being more racist is because Canada and Australia have, as their background, the British sense of 'fair play' and supporting the underdog, whereas the US prides itself on the strongest leading and heroes are those who succeed. Weakness is frowned upon and whining about failure is uneccaptable, whetever the reason. (discuss about gender/race equality in the worklace, education etc . . .)

I could go on and on, but there are enough holes in my post to drive a truck through, so I'll open it to be disected (Wham , please be nice :-| )

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 22 Dec 2005 2:54 pm

Vaucluse wrote:I realise it is possibly not the majority of the population as cross-mgration has certainly watered down the percentage of Francophone Canadians.
The Anglo press ridicules the requirement of street signs, government documents and others in French and English - hang on - - - we have that in many countries with a far smaller number of minorities. In Australia you have 20-odd languages for a drivers license exam, government information and even Vietnamese and Korean street signs.

Sorry, I'm slightly off topic. quote]

Actually a large number of the Acadian French can be found through Louisiana. They are the basis of the states earliest ethnic group after the native mexican/indian. The state is the only state that's not using the county as a subdivision, but the parish, also modeled after the acadian french of 200 years ago.

Just a slight aside to the off topic. :oops:

Who are we, today, to say that national and international boundaries that were only drawn up a few hundred years ago (in otehr parts of the world less athna 100 years ago) are the be all and end all of history?

Very valid point although in other posts we have thoughts that are the exact opposite. In recent history two come readily to mind at least for me anyway, Korea and Vietnam. Yes, the US got involved (discussions as to why have been done to death and I'm not about to get into them - even though Vietnam and I have a history) but at the end of the day. Country boundries were redrawn and redrawn again. Rightly or Wrongly. :???:

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 22 Dec 2005 3:04 pm

To the off-off topic . . . I guess if I were Quebecois I would also be scared at being surrounded by 300million Anglos whose culture and background are quite different to mine - the example of the Louisiana Creoles being marginalised, ridiculed and generally subdued would be enough to make me want to be more nationalistic.

Back to GC's question, however, I still would maintain that it is basically a matter of the societal structure and history.

'nuff said Image

globalexpat

Racism in Aus

Postby globalexpat » Fri, 13 Jan 2006 9:49 pm

Racism has, is and will continue to be rampant in Australia, and that's why I hpe I never have to go back to live there - born and bred there and thoroughly ashamed.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Re: Racism in Aus

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 14 Jan 2006 8:55 am

globalexpat wrote:Racism has, is and will continue to be rampant in Australia, and that's why I hpe I never have to go back to live there - born and bred there and thoroughly ashamed.

Good for you.

'nuff said Image