Singapore Expats Forum

seeing the rope slip right through your hands

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

seeing the rope slip right through your hands

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 11 Dec 2005 8:38 pm

Today we had a little Christmas Cocktail party, 30 or 40 people -- just drinks and cookies. Nothing fancy at all. One of the couples we invited were the parents of our daughter's best friend, who is moving away. They aren't close friends really, but we've certainly known them well enough over the last eight years as our girls grew up together.

It came time for them to go, which really means good bye. A moment everyone is collectively dreading. The Mom gave me a big hug, and instead of letting go after a second or so, held me close and said: I just want to thank you for all the kindnesses you've shown Laura over the years. For driving her, and including her in your family and making her feel so special. It's made our time here so, so wonderful. Thank you so much.

Sometimes, but not often, your life plays out in ways that are more poignant and touching than you can imagine. Or you're ready for.

2005 was a very strange year for me. You think every year just gets stranger and stranger like this? The older you get the more your life resembles a bad episode of 'Dynasty'? I'm starting to think boredom is just for the Gen-Xers...

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Sun, 11 Dec 2005 9:27 pm

No Mary, I don't think it's strange, I think it's wonderful and if you look closely enough at any day there will most probably be instances of loveliness in it.

I always try to smile, and I find that people almost always smile back. That's all it sometimes takes, just that.

I also always thank people for what they've done. Not as fulsomely as this woman did to you, but enough for folk to know I am glad.

Now the above makes me sound like some airy-fairy tree hugger, but I'm not. I'm a firm believer in 'What goes around, comes around' and try very hard not to be a cynical, miserable old c.o.w.......

Or it could just be that I've been at the cooking sherry.......lol.

Bubbs.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:09 am

Mary, I think boredom is for those who don't give a toss - you are, however, far too busy to fit either category - good for you.

'nuff said Image

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:24 am

Thank you Dear. It's not so much the amount I do, or the busy-ness factor. Busy to me always implies a life filled with superficiality. It's more that I find, that life now is filled with little dramas being played out every which way, all around me. It's all rather unexpected. I can't say that i mind it though. :wink:

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:53 am

This topic is too deep for me to contribute anything. :P
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:56 am

sapphire wrote:This topic is too deep for me to contribute anything. :P

Worry not, sapphire - sitting on a couch, your pc in front of you can be considered by some to be 'keeping busy'. :)

'nuff said Image

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:57 am

Oh! #-o
Thanks for enlightening me. :evil:
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:59 am

Perhaps your shallow self will bring a big platter of Christmas cookies, courtesy of MHB, to the party on Saturday since I won't be here?

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:59 am

:) pleasure.

'nuff said Image

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:02 am

I was speaking to Sapphire. I have little confidence there would be any cookies left if Vaucluse was the courier. :?

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:07 am

Oh I was going to pm you and ask if you'll join us for the party. Going home?

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:20 am

Yes indeed. Off to the Snow! Yeah! Leaving Friday! May be we can have coffee this week and I can pass you a plate of cookies to bring?

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:25 am

Sure! Let me know, you have my number. Will be nice to catch up with you again.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:56 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:I was speaking to Sapphire. I have little confidence there would be any cookies left if Vaucluse was the courier. :?

Oh . . . my second nickname when I was little (after Dennis the Menace) was Cookie Monster, so I guess you made agood call on that one.

'nuff said Image

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:28 pm

Mexican Wedding Cakes
Fudge
Chocolate Chip Blondies
Pinenut and Dried Cranberry Biscotti
Gingerbread Men

just to name a few....