Singapore Expats Forum

Need advice - Melbourne to Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Glemb

Need advice - Melbourne to Singapore

Postby Glemb » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:03 pm

Hello people,

Currently im working as a graduate accountant in Melbourne (1yr experience and counting), but I'm really considering about starting afresh in Singapore.

Whats the accounting job market like in Singapore these days (i have a uni degree in both computing and accounting), especially for foreigners who understand very little mandarin and with only 1yr experience like me?

Also, do you think my chance of getting a job is better if I just pack up, go there on 1-way ticket, and find a job then; or should I bother trying to find a job on the internet while keeping my job in Australia?
I reckon that I will not even be considered for an interview if my address is still in Australia, but i may be wrong :)

Thanks in advance for the info...

jhkim
Regular
Regular

Postby jhkim » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 5:30 pm

I secured my job before coming to Singapore......I think it is a risky idea to quit your job first.

You will have less negotiating power once you are here...and you will not be able to negotiate strong cause you need them more.

I don't see the benefit of physically being in Singapore unless it is an entry level position.

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Need advice - Melbourne to Singapore

Postby Bremen » Sat, 10 Dec 2005 2:54 pm

Glemb wrote:Hello people,

Currently im working as a graduate accountant in Melbourne (1yr experience and counting), but I'm really considering about starting afresh in Singapore.

Whats the accounting job market like in Singapore these days (i have a uni degree in both computing and accounting), especially for foreigners who understand very little mandarin and with only 1yr experience like me?

Quite bad, actually. There are MANY accountants here, and most of them need to speak Mandarin fluently to converse with the locals. You'd need specialized banking skills to even be considered.

Glemb wrote:Also, do you think my chance of getting a job is better if I just pack up, go there on 1-way ticket, and find a job then; or should I bother trying to find a job on the internet while keeping my job in Australia?
I reckon that I will not even be considered for an interview if my address is still in Australia, but i may be wrong :)

Thanks in advance for the info...

Apply from Australia.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

Glemb

Re: Need advice - Melbourne to Singapore

Postby Glemb » Sun, 11 Dec 2005 3:50 am

Bremen wrote:
Quite bad, actually. There are MANY accountants here, and most of them need to speak Mandarin fluently to converse with the locals. You'd need specialized banking skills to even be considered.

Ewww.....sad face :(

Thanks for the info...going to try applying from monster.com.sg now...fingers xxxx

dcken

Postby dcken » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 1:11 am

Mate, go direct to the big guys, i have used monster in my search, and erm it aint as good as elsewhere by a long shot. Or should I say the people reviewing will not see your value as being better than locals which is needed to get a visa.

For more info on some, try asia.hobsons narrow search to sing, fin serv, account = 15 firms. Saw something from ausie ca folk.

As you are so junior to the job market i would suggest, stick out for longer or gain more experience some place else in aus. The money here for junior folk is rubbish.

Do not quit your job before something else is secure, having just done the quit and one way ticket (followed wife). Hope you have seen the salaries... must be better in aus?

Good luck!

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:17 am

I'd agree with the previous posters - gain more experience and then make a switch. For every job ad in monster of jobsdb there are about 800 - 1000 replies, you figure the odds.

Wait a few years and then come on over.

'nuff said Image