Singapore Expats Forum

what to wear

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

archiej99

what to wear

Postby archiej99 » Wed, 07 Dec 2005 10:45 am

wanted to know what one should wear to the race course for an evening event
the dress code says FORMAL..
but i aint quite sure what would be appropriate to wear..

help!!

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed, 07 Dec 2005 10:49 am

I guess you are a guy, wear work trousers & a long sleeved shirt. Take a tie in your pocket just in case & smart shoes. Easy.
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

archiej99

Postby archiej99 » Wed, 07 Dec 2005 11:07 am

oh sorry forgot to mention im a female ..even though my nick suggests otherwise..lol

vaishali
Regular
Regular

Postby vaishali » Wed, 07 Dec 2005 12:30 pm

archiej99 wrote:oh sorry forgot to mention im a female ..even though my nick suggests otherwise..lol

A little black dress never goes astray :)

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Thu, 08 Dec 2005 4:19 pm

archiej99 wrote:oh sorry forgot to mention im a female ..even though my nick suggests otherwise..lol

Black high heels, stockings, tight mini skirt g-string combo, spray on lycra black (optional cheeta pattern also can) low cut top - Extra make-up and a perm...

If you dont win on the horses you might land yourself some old rich guy lah :cool:

BTW go watch Pretty Woman.

LuvWurking

Postby LuvWurking » Thu, 08 Dec 2005 11:12 pm

Probably not a long gown with a tiara?

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 8:25 am

Bafana wrote:

Black high heels, stockings, tight mini skirt g-string combo, spray on lycra black (optional cheeta pattern also can) low cut top - Extra make-up and a perm...

Baf. she didn't ask you what your fantasy was!! :P
One man's meat is another's poison.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 8:39 am

If it says 'formal' and it's in the evening, then usually this means a gown. In Singapore, wear things are decidedly more laid back, I'd say it's OK to wear your best short cocktail dress. No cotton. Evening fabrics: silk, satin, charmeuse, etc...

The dress code for the American Association Ball and the St. Pat's Ball, Oilwives, Maple Leaf -- all say 'formal'. 95 % of the women wear long gowns to these events. However, I think this may be a poor choice of words on behalf of the person doing the inviting -- but you better check it out. Who else do you know that's going?

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 11:49 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:In Singapore, wear things are decidedly more laid back, I'd say it's OK to wear your best short cocktail dress

Interesting observation Mary B.

I have always found Singaporean women to be great dressers in comparision to Australia. The amount of casual you see in the shopping centre in Hurtsville compared to Marine Parade is very great.

In general I have foudn that if your a guy your dress is not that important here but as a woman you have to try harder as the locals try hard and they make clothes look really good.

Just my humble observation as a male passerby in the world of feminine fashion lah :wink:

BTW well done Singaporean Gals - You do make an effort and people do notice :cool:

archiej99

Postby archiej99 » Sat, 10 Dec 2005 12:43 am

thanx for all the help..
hey btw mary..the whole prob was that i dono any1 ..lol

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 10 Dec 2005 5:50 am

[quote="archiej99"]thanx for all the help..
hey btw mary..the whole prob was that i dono any1 ..lol[/quote}

Isn't there a RSVP on the invitation that you can call to ask?

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Postby samantha » Sat, 10 Dec 2005 9:51 am

For Formal, you can survive with whatever you wear to work in the office. Formal normally means, no shorts, no slipper, no sandels, no mini-skirts, no T-shirts, no jeans, etc...

So just something nice and pretty will be fine... Why don't you go check out what the various actresses wear when they go for their Awards?
I'm so stupid that I surprise myself sometimes...

Return to “General Discussions”