Singapore Expats Forum

Christmas Cookie Icing

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

Christmas Cookie Icing

Postby Em Eye » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 7:46 pm

I'm going to make some plain cookies and would like to decorate them with icing. Does anyone know how to make icing? I only now how to make icing for cakes...Thanks

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 9:33 pm

Much the same, just thinner. I'll check my cookbooks, but I'm sure someone else will reply before I do that. Sounds yummy!

Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Em Eye » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 2:09 pm

Can I just use icing sugar, water and food colouring? All the receipts online have eggs and I'm not sure the icing will last in the Singapore heat...

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 2:30 pm

Em Eye,

go to:

www.epicurious.com

They should have what your looking for. I think the best is royal icing which has powdered egg white in it. Better still buy or borrow the 'Joy of Cooking'. :)

Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Em Eye » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 8:59 pm

Thanks Mary. Went looking for powdered egg white in the bakery store in Holland Village and they didn't have any. Any ideas for simpler receipes?

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 10:04 pm

Recipe for cookie Creamy Vanilla Frosting from Betty Crocker's Cookbook

3 cups icing sugar
1/3 cup softened butter
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
about 2 Tablespoons milk
Mix sugar & butter. Stir in vanilla & milk; beat until smooth & of spreading consistency. Tint with food coloring of choice.

This went with a recipe for Sugar Cookies. Enjoy and have fun!

Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Em Eye » Wed, 07 Dec 2005 9:36 am

Thanks Matney, greatly appreciated!

My cooking skills are useless so it seems simple. Hope it dries well so I can decorate them and they'll servive the gift giving process.

I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Wed, 07 Dec 2005 11:16 am

Hi Em Eye

Hope I am not too late to help out.

Not sure what kind of decorations you were thinking of doing on your cookies...it sort of makes a difference in the choices you have for icing.

I have made a few gingerbread men and houses whilst in HK and Sing, never had a problem with using normal Royal Icing recipes using egg whites. I have found powdered egg whites at the supermarket with only a little hassle...I had to do this for people who were a little iffy about using raw eggs etc. I haven't found the meringue powder tho...maybe a cake decorating place might help you out there. The sugar content in this icing normally acts as preservative. The only problem is possible "sweating" when faced with big changes in humidity/aircon, don't keep in fridge! The big advantage of using this is that you can make it various colours, spread it on, pipe it on, paint it, shape it any way you want and it dries rock hard and stays that way,not many other icings will let you do that. I think this is the best icing to use, you can flavour it too.

Here is a page with a couple of tips for you...

http://www.kitchengifts.com/cookiedecorating.html

The other alternative is to use a fondant type icing (you know like wedding cakes etc) and make it very soft first to mould it into shape and then it will harden. This can be hard work though! Once again if you refrigerate them moisture will form onthe surface if you bring it out into the humidity...however putting in front of a fan for a short while will dry it off.

The other choice is just to use normal old icing, just make it fairly thick and not at all runny. Colour it how you want and just use a hot knife to spread or pipe on depending on how you want to decorate etc. You cannot paint on this though as it is water soluble. Another disadvantage is that it doesn't last as long.

Have fun making your cookies...hope I helped a bit...let us know how they turn out. :)
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Em Eye » Thu, 08 Dec 2005 9:34 am

So they didn;t work out. Thought I'd cut down the preperation time and buy the premade cookie dough. Cut the shapes, baked and now I can't tell what the shapes were to start with...so didn't even get to the icing stage...

Should never venture into the kitchen...thanks anyway
Last edited by Em Eye on Thu, 08 Dec 2005 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crappysotong

Christmas Decorated Cookies for Sale & for a good cause

Postby crappysotong » Thu, 08 Dec 2005 11:43 am

Hey everyone, I am currently making frosted cookiesfor sale this christmas , if you guys are interested in purchasing as gifts or just to hang them on your christmas tree, feel free visit my website below to place your orders. Alternatively you can email me @ crappysotong@hotmail.com for more details.

Part of the proceeds will go to children's home and I really hope you guys can show me some support and spread the word around. Thank you so very much!

My website --> http://www.frostiethecookie.com