Singapore Expats Forum

Pirated DVD's from Malaysia and gum

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Shadou
Regular
Regular

Pirated DVD's from Malaysia and gum

Postby Shadou » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 3:11 pm

Have a question for anyone who may know the laws/rules, etc about DVD's from Malaysia and gum. Went to JB with a friend over the weekend to do some shopping and eat some food and like in times past, I bought a few packs of gum to bring back with me. I went through the xray scanner and the official asked me to look inside my bag where he proceeded to take out the few packs of gum that I bought. He then said that it's illegal in Singapore where I was left dumbfounded as I explained that you can buy the gum in either Watsons or Guardian so why is it illegal to bring it in myself? He went on to say that you need a prescription from a doctor to chew gum here? Never heard of such a thing. Anyone care to comment on this? So they took the gum, filled out some form (probably blacklisting me) and sent me on my way. Ok I thought, no big deal.

They also took out and looked at the three DVD's that I bought but said nothing of these. Now aren't these DVD's illegal in Singapore since they haven't been through the Board of Censors? Or are you allowed to bring in a certain amount before they say something? Guess it also depends on the person working that day. Anyone else have similar stories? Thanks.

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Pirated DVD's from Malaysia and gum

Postby Bremen » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 3:25 pm

Shadou wrote:They also took out and looked at the three DVD's that I bought but said nothing of these. Now aren't these DVD's illegal in Singapore since they haven't been through the Board of Censors? Or are you allowed to bring in a certain amount before they say something? Guess it also depends on the person working that day. Anyone else have similar stories? Thanks.

Well, officially, you're allowed to bring some gum for personal consumption. Other than that, you can get medical/dental gum.

As for the DVDs, even a single one would have been illegal... But like you said, it really depends on the person working that day.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 1:20 am

Never had any problems with DVDs and VCDs from JB, though it will be wise to avoid those movies bordering on "illegal here"...
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

yoongf
Chatter
Chatter

Postby yoongf » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 8:27 am

See Para 4 of the press release.

http://app.ica.gov.sg/pressrelease/pres ... ?pr_id=270

Bringing in uncensored pirated stuff has 2 governing laws. The Copyright Act and the Films Act.

The laws are there. Whether we want the authorities to be enforce them depends on how much publicity we generate of this issue. Thus.. it's better for us layman not to highlight all the wonderful things that is being done.