Singapore Expats Forum

Winning Ads

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Winning Ads

Postby Global Citizen » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 9:59 am

Ok, I admit the thread on Jessica Alba and Tiger Beer has inspired this topic.
Have you ever seen an ad that caught your attention and stayed with you because its message was either provocative or brilliant or both. That to me is successful advertising. Some ads that come to my mind are:

1. Picture this; 2 ladies playing tennis and the game is in full swing. As the ladies run back and forth across the court, the camera zooms in close to one of the ladies' chest which is bouncing 'spontaneously'. (for lack of a better word) The ad ends with this message by the annoucer:
When the only thing that should bounce is the ball.
Maidenform bras.

2. Ad that appeared on a billboard on the side of a highway.
Pork the one you love tonight.
At the bottom of the ad are the words:
National Pork Board.
Pork -The Other White Meat.

3. The scene is set in a steamy sauna where 2 men are seated beside each other. One of the men keeps glancing down at (what one can only assume) are the other's privates. The other man is aware of being looked at but studiously ignores him for awhile. Finally exasperated, the man who's been putting up with this, looks up at the other guy and the camera zooms in on to the man's lap where one sees he has been reading a newspaper. The other guy was obviously just looking at the newspaper and nothing else and the ad was of course for the newspaper.

Would love to hear what your favourites are.
Last edited by Global Citizen on Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
One man's meat is another's poison.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 10:33 am

Back in the UK a while ago there was an advert for lynx where a bloke stumbled through a time portal & was suddenly surrounded by cave women. All is well when suddenly a big monster appears & the women start to run in terror, the bloke grabs a bra (made of animal skin) off a washing line & uses it as a sling shot & kills the beast. Much to the admiration of the cave women.

Next scene he is sitting again being pampered by the adoring women when another beast arrives, on cue all the women remove their bras & use them as sling shots, guy gives the camera a wry smile. "The Lynx effect"

a classic ad :D
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 10:38 am

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 10:57 am

Brilliant you guys!

This ad was shown in Singapore and was for an ac. (air con). Shows a hot, humid day in the tropics where in the background a song by the group Third World is playing. "96 degrees in the shade. Too hot in the shade."
As it is, this may not sound terribly attention grabbing, but this ad has stayed with me for years because of the very catchy lyrics set to the reggae beat.
One man's meat is another's poison.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 12:01 pm

There were a string of ads in the UK for a beer called Carling Black label, and basically there were two main characters who saw some other bloke doing something incredible & then at the end of it said "I bet he drinks Carling Black label".

The best one was a parody of the levi advert of a man going into a laundrette & washes the jeans that he is wearing (with marvin gayes 'heard it through the grapevine" playing). Then it switches to our usual two characters & the catch phrase - "I bet he drinks CBL" to which the other replies "nah, he doesn't wash his underpants" camera pulls back & they are both sat in the laundrette nude but for some well placed newspapers.
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."

Hemingway

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 12:05 pm

Two of my fave :) you know wolfies are never good with words, so here goes the link and catch it yourself. [link will only be valid for 2 weeks]

(one's alcoholic and the other's not) :twisted:

http://s12.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1VVBITQ2KF4P70WZJX9KVZUQ8P
[apparently this one is not working. sorry] - arrrrrrrrgh!!!

http://s12.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1P2R8T46JHLWO056819SUCPYQQ
Last edited by madwolfie on Mon, 05 Dec 2005 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 12:10 pm

I think the first one may be too big wolfie I get this warning:

File Transfer: Unavailable
Unfortunately, the link you have clicked is not available.

Your transfer cannot be completed. The file has most likely exceeded its allotted bandwidth or has been removed by the original sender or a recipient.

But I like the beer one, very cool

Hemingway

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 12:44 pm

Beer :) BLODDY BIG AD.... :lol:

hey , if I send you the other ad, could you help me load it? I tried it... maybe its banned becoz I think this as could never have been aired... :twisted:

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 12:46 pm

Sorry I can't help the hosting site I used to use putfile.com is now banning people with Singapore ip addresses due to hanging, I am sure if you google you will be able to find another free hosting site.

Hemingway

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 12:50 pm

:???: WT fish.....banning &$*(#&$

Though BG, thanks for your help anyways!!! :) :) :)

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 1:14 pm

Let's try...

[background music: light spanish guitar tune]
A little boy walks down the street and stops at the vending machine, with the coins in his little hands, he looks up at this giant vending machine.

He slots in his coins and press the button for a can of Coke. Out comes the can of Coke, he takes it and places it on the floor.

He slots in more coins and presses the button for another can of coke. Out comes the can of Coke, he takes it and places it on the floor again.

Now he uses the coke cans as steps and reaches for the button right on the top of the vending machine which reads "PEPSI"... he presses it.

Out comes the can of PEPSI, the little boy is happy with the can of PEPSI in his hands and skips off, leaving the coke cans on the floor...

out comes across the screen "THE JOYS OF PEPSI"

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 1:37 pm

Never seen it but it sounds excellent!
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 1:40 pm

Thanks, I guess I just passed my English test... :lol:

It certainly is one of my fave. Too bad I couldn't link it... Hmmm...

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:10 pm

Miller Lite 2003

'Nuff said.

Oh and shit beer.
some signatures are more equal than others