Singapore Expats Forum

How do you celebrate Christmas back home?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

crabathor

How do you celebrate Christmas back home?

Postby crabathor » Sun, 04 Dec 2005 12:04 pm

How do you celebrate Chritsmas back home especially among family and close friends?
Do you still carry the tradition here?

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Sun, 04 Dec 2005 5:55 pm

By buying too much food and drink, by waiting too long to send Christmas cards then having to pay first class stamps, by grabbing the cutest looking tree from other peeps also looking in the forestry shop near where I live, by freaking out about pressies, by going bonkers cleaning bedrooms in case people stay over, by gaining weight, by spending too much and hiding from the bank manager, and by generally HAVING A DAMNED GOOD TIME DOING ALL THE ABOVE.

Same each year, and no, I don't want to learn how to be any different..
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Kimi » Sun, 04 Dec 2005 7:06 pm

We actually don't have the gift exchange tradition back home only in school, oddly enuff...
So this year when my family is here I'm encouraging this tradition but the gifts have to have an element that's self-made, anything can do, doesn't have to be fancy even, but well at least well-thought.
Same like cooking I reckon, if you do it with love, it will taste yummy :) errr at least I hope when I do it :lol:

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Sun, 04 Dec 2005 8:29 pm

Back in the "old days" Christmas was a time when we would visit the grandparents, and the whole family would meet there for lunch (since we normally have 2 pairs of grandparents, I let you imagine the tension that happened sometimes when a choice had to be made...).

The tradition was that each grand child, from the youngest to the oldest, would say a poeme, sing a song... after that he deserved a gift. What a nightmare!

These days there is not much tradition anymore and we just gather with whom is available for a good time together.
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant