Singapore Expats Forum

Anyone heard of Moosehead?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Postby CardZeus » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 1:37 pm

BG - The rules for alcohol content varies from state to state in the USA, therefore I guess it makes sense to add alcohol after brewing - BTW, Bud is an exceptionally poor beer, tasteless and almost impossible to get drunk
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 2:19 pm

Bud? I think it's the one the affectionately know as "like making love at the beach" you know. Fcuking near water!

:( But, as I said earlier, I never drank beer in the US. only tried Bud after acquiring a taste for Anchor, Tooheys

seraphim
Reporter
Reporter

Postby seraphim » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 2:53 pm

Thanks Scorpion.

I know they have delivery service available, but I'm trying to figure out where the sell the stuff, like in bars.
And the sultans - yeah the sultans
they play creole...Creole, baby

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 5:13 pm

Moosehead used to be popular years ago as it was one of the first beers to be pumped through it's own 2nd cooler. Being extra cold the alchol would enter the blood stream quicker therefore get you drunk quicker (maybe just a urban myth, not sure)

You never wanted to drink the fist few pints of a the day as they tasted horrid as wouldn't be cold enough.

seraphim
Reporter
Reporter

Postby seraphim » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 5:27 pm

It used to be popular in the UK?
:-k

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 5:33 pm

seraphim wrote:It used to be popular in the UK?
:-k

I used to run a pub in late 80's and we had it then but haven't seen it for years on draught in the UK, only in bottles

Wild Rover
Regular
Regular

Postby Wild Rover » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 6:04 pm

I never saw it in the UK, but have had it before in Canada (though it was on draught there, not bottled).

And coincidentally I was sinking a few on Saturday night, and maybe it's because I've been in Singapore too long already but I thought it very quaffable, and certainly no worse than the other mass produced lagers readily available here.

What's more despite afterwards having other drinks like vodka and red wine I didn't even have a hangover the next day (well ok it was afternoon when I woke :? That wouldn't have been possible with Tiger as I always feel rotten even after a couple :???:

I reckon something is put in there deliberately by the Singapore government to deter locals from wanting to drink too much of the stuff!
What's worse, ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don't care

seraphim
Reporter
Reporter

Postby seraphim » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 6:31 pm

Admittedly, thats one of the reasons I detest beer - it tastes like hell, and gives me the most queasy hangover the next day.

Now, I've found only two beers I can handle like a pro - Hoegaarden, and Moosehead. (yes, yes.....avid beer fans will say I'm off my rocker with such selections. Go on! I've never professed to be sane. :mrgreen:)

So now the mission continues.....where to find Moosehead in the event I can't convince the guys to settle for drinks at a place where they sell hoegaarden?

Wild Rover
Regular
Regular

Postby Wild Rover » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 10:11 pm

Well I'm with you there with the Hoegaarden as well Seraphim. Even in the UK if I couldn't get a 'proper pint of real ale' then I would go for the Hoegaarden. I had many a session on that stuff that should have left me laid up for days (not cheap stuff mind) but nearly always was perfectly ok the next day. I'm trying to get into Erdinger here as it's supposed to be similar tackle, but it's just not the same.

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 10:29 pm

So why don't you continue with Hoegaarden? :???:
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 10:37 pm

Wild Rover wrote:Well I'm with you there with the Hoegaarden as well Seraphim. Even in the UK if I couldn't get a 'proper pint of real ale' then I would go for the Hoegaarden. I had many a session on that stuff that should have left me laid up for days (not cheap stuff mind) but nearly always was perfectly ok the next day. I'm trying to get into Erdinger here as it's supposed to be similar tackle, but it's just not the same.

Hoegaarden is an organic beer so the reason why you don't get an hangover, ok you have to pay extra. The likes of Tiger are like any mass produced beer, full of chemicals and additives which result in hangovers until your body gets used to it.

Wild Rover
Regular
Regular

Postby Wild Rover » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:00 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:So why don't you continue with Hoegaarden? :???:

If it were available everywhere, then surely I would. However more and more places seem to sell Erdinger these days so don't always get the chance. However if I remember rightly Next Page sells Hoey (Hoegaarden), so apart from challenging you at pool again that gives me another incentive to go to WNDC this week :wink:

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:03 pm

Thought you could not play? :mad:

In fact I am quite surprised because I usually have Hoegaarden when I go out, so I don't feel it's difficult to find it...

Well, let's see... I go to places like... Oosters... May be a venue for a next WNDC? :mrgreen:

Wild Rover
Regular
Regular

Postby Wild Rover » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:05 pm

Saint wrote:Hoegaarden is an organic beer so the reason why you don't get an hangover, ok you have to pay extra. The likes of Tiger are like any mass produced beer, full of chemicals and additives which result in hangovers until your body gets used to it.

Don't think my body will ever get used to all those chemicals and additives, certainly not in Tiger. Interesting what you say about organic beer - will have to do more research into that one :D

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:14 pm

That's why Belgian beers are so good!
Try Duvel, for instance....

(available at Oosters :P )