Singapore Expats

Gynecologist Recommendation

Discuss the various Pediatrician, Obstetrician & Gynaecologist options here.
newhere

Gynecologist Recommendation

Post by newhere » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 9:54 pm

Can anyone recommened a good gynecologist? We just moved here from NY and my wife is pregnant. She is looking for someone that expats would use and prefers a woman doctor.
Thanks all.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Fri, 02 Dec 2005 5:36 am

I know a lot of expat woman use Anne Haggarty or P.C. Wong (both practice out of Mt. Elizabeth Hospital, I think) Good luck with your move.

Millie1

Post by Millie1 » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 8:38 am

I was in the same position and have found a fantastic Dr her name is Dr Chia Yee Tien who delivers at Mount Elizabeth. I've heard that it's very difficult to get an appointment with Anne Hegarty.

pro singer

Post by pro singer » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 5:54 pm

You should probably find out where you are near. We live near Thomson Medical Centre so that's where we looked for a doctor. We found Dr. W.K. Tan and she is the best! It is also difficult to get an appointment from her but if you and your family happen to live in this area try calling the clinic for an appointment from her. Good luck!

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 9:48 pm

I don't need a OBGYN but would gladly take any recommendations for my regular pap smear. I'm past child bearing years, but need to keep that up to date. I guess I just prefer a woman doing one of those as opposed a male doctor. Btw, I live on the East Coast but work along Orchard Blvd..
Thanks!

Tania Gai

Post by Tania Gai » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 7:30 pm

Hi "New Here"

Congrats on your wife's pregnancy. Sounds like you have lots to think about along with a move.

There are quite a few OBGYNS in Singapore (females) and it would depend on what type of experience your wife was looking for.

Anne Haggarty is Canadian and is popular with expats. However she has heavy waiting periods. You are given an appt and then you call on the day of your appt and are then told a new time. have heard some women waiting over an hour.
She is based out of Mt Elizabeth Hospital (private)

Dr Shireen Jacobs is another popular one. She has private practice in Camden Medical Centre and works out of GlenEagles Hospital (private)

Dr Mary Rauff is another who works out of NUH (Public). She is also quite popular with expats

There are several other attached to Mt E in nparticular.

I suggest going and meeting few and seeing which one is the right fit.

having your baby hear can end up being a very expensive experience, especially as alot of OBGYN's here tend to be more "active management" That is high c-section rates, routine inductions, episiotomies, assisited deliveries so important to first think about what is important to you both first.

Good luck with your move

Tania
Certified Doula & Childbirth Educator (CBI)
Baby Massage Instructor (IAIM)
www.parentlink.org
Your Birth, Your Way!

Tania Gai

Post by Tania Gai » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 7:33 pm

and I just realised several spelling mistakes....my apologies. Thats what you get when you don't proof read first :)
Certified Doula & Childbirth Educator (CBI)
Baby Massage Instructor (IAIM)
www.parentlink.org
Your Birth, Your Way!

Oz1

Special Baby Care / ICU for Babies/ Twins

Post by Oz1 » Sun, 15 Apr 2007 10:08 pm

Hi there,
my wife is preggie with twins & we are very happy with Dr W.K.Tan at Thompson Hospital. She is the best. The only problem is , being an expat , we could have to pay up to $1200 p/day per baby for ICU if they are born early.( $72 000 SGD for 1 month early! ). We want to stay here for deliveries, but can anyone reccmmend a cheaper hospital for SBC/ ICU as these kind of costs would cripple us ?

ffsgrelier
Regular
Regular

Gynea

Post by ffsgrelier » Mon, 16 Apr 2007 9:06 am

good morning

Am a newbie here and only arrived from the uk 2 weeks ago. I am now 32 weeks pregnant and have had to do the maternity hospital tours lately to organise everything re the upcoming arrival of our little princess... I suppose my experience is slightly different as this is my third little baba and i have had my other 2 boys in a foreign country already.

I too prefered the idea of a woman but somehow will end up going with Paul Tseng at the Thompson Medical Centre, not because it is the closest to where we live (even though in a taxi, nothind central is really far) but because i was really impressed by his laid back attitude, not pushy in any way, very good at listening and very open minded ( not too interventionist if you don't want the birth to be moved along quickly).

The hospital itself is not the biggest or the newest but was clean, had friendly staff and was well run. Paul also is open to the idea of having a doula there which has been very much recommended to me as a way of having someone who knows the system in singapore and is there for you all through the labour . If you look through the forum, you'll find lots of useful info re it all.

Ann Hagerty has been recommended to me too but I could not get an appointment as she wasn't taking any new patients.

Hope this helps. When are you supposd to come over to Singapore ? If you need more info or if you have any quesion in any way , please feel free to pm me.

Good luck

frederique

jasmine_g

Post by jasmine_g » Mon, 16 Apr 2007 11:45 am

Congratulations! I would recommend Dr.Selena Chua at Mount Elizabeth.I am from Ireland and had my son 9 months ago.Mount Elizabeth is a lovely hospital.I ended up having to get an emergency c-section but it was the final resort.Dr.Chua knew I didnt want a c-section and tried assisting with forceps and vaccuum.I have been told by friends that some doctors here in Singapore try to push you into getting a c-section when there is no reason why you cant deliver naturally.We were very happy and comfortable with Dr.Chua. If we are having our second here I will definetly be going back to her.
Good luck with your move

*sasha*

Special Baby Care / ICU for Babies/ Twins

Post by *sasha* » Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:11 am

Hi Oz1
I was abt 27wks pregnant wt twins when we moved back here 2 yrs ago. My babies decided to come early at 29wks & we rushed ourselves to the KK Children's & Womens Hospital. I had no OB/GYN at that time & was worried sick.

The hospital immediately admited me as a C class (the lowest ward) patient so as to cut the NICU costs down. We spent nearly $30K for both twins 3mths stay at the NICU & SCN.

I was also very happy KKH as it being a children's hospital, has a very well-equipped NICU & the staff knowledgeable. I have heard stories of how babies from other private hospital had to be transfered to KKH as the are not equipped to deal with the problem. Hv also heard that KK has the right to refuse transfer patients from private hospitals as obviously, priority goes to patients who delivers at KKH.

Please call KK to check on their rates. I wld recommend Dr Benjamin Tham WL there. Hope this helps!

By the way, are you a member of Twins Plus yet? www.twinsplussing.com

Ma'am

Post by Ma'am » Tue, 24 Apr 2007 8:49 pm

Hi newhere

There is a lot of info in previous posts so do have a look through them when you get a chance.

When I first arrived here I started a lot of pre-natal excercise classes (yoga, water-cise etc) through the mother and child centres located in Tanglin Mall and Tanglin Shopping centre. This was the best thing I could have done. Most of my classes were taken by international midwives who actually worked here as doulas and each lesson we would hear about how previous births went as people left the class to have their babies (and kept in contact with the instructors). It was a great source of info regarding the docotrs and hospitals here. Your wife needs to decide if she would like to try for a low-intervention, natural birth or not. If so her doctors of choice would actually be limited. Be sure to ask the OB when you meet them what their intervention rates are like. People like Paul Tseng and TC Chang at TMC (and I mention these two because I had them both) are very good in that respect. Internationally trained and very used to Western ideas. A lot of OB's here will assure you that everything will be fine but when it comes to it they will try to push you into something maybe earlier then you would like. Intervention is high here.

Dont get too caught up with the idea of a female doctor either - all the people I know who have had babies here (and obviously I speak purely from personal experience, from my mothers group friends and other mothers I have met at my childs classes etc) the best experiences have been from male doctors!

Your wife should go and have a chat to some of the ladies at the mother and child centres I mentioned - they will be able to help with a lot of information. Also go and meet a few of the OB's and do the hospital tours - ask as many questions as possible.

ssmng

Gynae

Post by ssmng » Thu, 03 May 2007 1:54 pm

Hi,

You can go to Birth & Beyond at Tanglin Shopping Centre (next to Orchard parade hotel) #05-18 or ring them at 67361636 / 7.

It is very popular with expats as the staffs are very friendly. The midwifes and staffs will be able to help you through your pregnancy.

Good luck.

Amelia Camelia
Regular
Regular

Post by Amelia Camelia » Wed, 09 May 2007 11:53 pm

Would just like to second the recommendation for Dr Selina Chua at Mt Elizabeth.

She's extremely experienced and doesn't patronise you. She also spends time to explain everything, answers all your questions and more.

She was recommended to me from an Accident & Emergency Doctor who taught him the gynae bit of his studies.

kindest regards
A

LH

Post by LH » Fri, 11 May 2007 10:56 am

I would like to 'third' the recommendation for Selena Chua. I have had all three of my children with her, and find her very laid back.. Never had her push for any intervention at all. Have recommended her to friends who had had difficult first-time births with other docs, and they were very pleased with her as well. She is a lovely woman who really made all three of my pregnancies a pleasure. Mount E does also have some very experienced and well-trained neonatologists available. Having worked in a children's hospital for years.. I was a bit 'kiasu' and did arrange for a baby doc to be present during delivery.. (was it necessary? debatable... but had seen too many cases where having a baby doc around would have made the difference, so was happy to pay for the peace of mind!)