Singapore Expats Forum

Donation

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Kimi
Reporter
Reporter

Donation

Postby Kimi » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 2:24 pm

I was doing a little of Christmas shopping on Orchard Rd. near the hospital I went to for my ankle and saw this very skinny old man who was selling tissues on the street and people just walked pass him by.
A similar sight can be seen near Holland Village where an old woman is selling sweets she makes herself and well it certainly doesn't look like appealing goods, but I reckon they do this out of needs rather than begging on the street, is it not?
And before anybody is going to start a flame comparing the locals and the non-locals, in Holland Village I saw both ignoring this old woman actually.
Certainly having seen this tendency, made me hesitate as well at the beginning to buy her "goods" as unfair as it might sound... out of pity and conciousness calling if you will..., so I too walked pass her at the beginning but then I returned to her having my conciousness bugged me and it felt strange at the beginning when I saw people were looking with a weird look... But then at the end, I took the same stance and just didn't care back :P

I am quite bewildered to be honest to see people wouldn't sort of take pity and acted as if they don't care, as if one dollar is going to make them poor... Or is it that the current society has turned to be either selfish or paranoid to be afraid of strangers to show they care which is probably considered to be a weakness nowadays, or paranoid of questioning strangers' intentions...
Or is it the idea that there is no use in helping these people out of the perception that they might use the money for something of ill-use or such?
Again, I would call that paranoia actually...
What do you reckon?

prodigy

Postby prodigy » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 2:43 pm

That aint' that bad..I had experiences at the hawker centre where this old lady would come up to you when you are sitted and speaks to you in Cantonese..asking you to buy her things..tissues perhaps, and you you just shake your head 'No', she will use her arm to hit your shoulders to push you to buy and continously speak in Cantonese, and I have no idea what she says..and when you choose to ignore her, she will walk away angrily, and perhaps curse and swear? She keeps spewing in Cantonese and I have no idea what she mumurs except that it sounds like angry words.

And mind you, she is a daily illegal hawker to the hawker centre...many people there find her quite annoying though..

:cry:

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 3:27 pm

I heard that begging is illegal in singapore, so as a work around the old or infirm sell token items such as tissues. You can never have too many tissues, and from the ammount of nose pickers around it is a good thing to sell on the street :)
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

jag78
Regular
Regular

Postby jag78 » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 10:27 pm

Odd, but I wanted to do a similar post the other day, Kimi :wink:
Anyway, coming back to your post, it is something that's sometimes hard to ignore. There's this old lady I see sitting outside Scotts and my heart just goes to her. I'm sure for some, there's a genuine reason for selling, as Baron said, token items and such, but just as many others who have taken advantage of kind peeps who feel sorry for them. Perhaps it's these who've 'hardened' many to such sights in and around Singapore.

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Postby CardZeus » Fri, 02 Dec 2005 9:22 am

Trouble is - you give to one you give to all. Then it's not $1 - are there any charities supporting these types of people; I'd feel better giving to them.
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

Return to “General Discussions”