Singapore Expats

Common courtesy?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 1:44 pm

sapphire wrote:Welcome back Vaucluse. Service industry in India is pretty good I agree. It was about politeness like saying 'Thank You' etc. which Indians are not so good at. And comparing Bombay and Calcutta with Tokyo was just not fair.

Good to be back - albeit for a short period - hello Sapphy!

Ah, but it is comparable - when I hold the doors open for people in India I more often than not get a quizzical smile and a quick 'thank you' in word or nod.
However - held the door open for an Indian lady here a while back - she just strode through, enriching me with a glance that made me look in the mirror in case I had birdshit on my nose . . . ](*,)

'nuff said Image

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 1:47 pm

I will not comment on 'Sapphy'! Well, Indians are generally polite to the 'firangs'. And some like me are the epitome of politeness. :cool:
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 2:13 pm

sapphire wrote:I will not comment on 'Sapphy'! Well, Indians are generally polite to the 'firangs'. And some like me are the epitome of politeness. :cool:

:-k hmm, I shall have to try not to CHOKE on that one.

Speaking of choking:

A woman goes into a restaurant in a small town in the South. She orders some chicken and starts to eat. Eating too fast, she starts to choke on a chicken bone.
Buford and Buck, two country boys in the next booth, notice she is choking. So they get up and go over to help her. Buford drops his coveralls and bends over and then Buck starts licking his butt.
The choking woman watches these two go at it and is so grossed out that she launches foward and throws up all over the place, dislodging the chicken bone from her throat. Buford pulls his overalls back up and says to Buck,

"You're right,that 'hind-lick' maneuver works like a charm."

'nuff said Image

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 2:37 pm

Lol! No one believes me, try buying a beer for me, I will say 'Thank You'. Honest! :P

PS. That joke is really disgusting. While we're on the subject of disgust, I miss Beavis and Butthead on Mtv. Loved those two.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 2:59 pm

Vaucluse wrote:I know WIMH is going to on my back like a tonne of bricks, but face the fact that common courtesy is virtually non-existent here.
you are saying i weigh a tonne? :x actually i just used that exact phrase on you in the maid thread before i saw this. :lol:

i don't disagree that there's a lot of room for improvement as far as manners go. my post was just a personal observation that i get lots of doors held open for me and so can't agree that all local guys have no manners.

just because i don't jump on the bandwagon and cheerfully condemn locals doesn't mean i think they are perfect. i just see both types around. now why can't anyone else see that?

ps: vaucluse, didnt have time to say wb before you pounced on me in the maids thread. so anyway, welcome back! :kiss: