Singapore Expats Forum

Who Is Your Best Friend, And Why?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Who Is Your Best Friend, And Why?

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 30 Nov 2005 8:26 pm

I have a few:

My husband of course for the obvious reasons. When I say, 'take out wrenched ankle, he says: 'remove funny bone'.

Cindy & Mari, going on 37 years. 'Nuff said.

Mary, Ann, Anne, Anne, and of course Anne-Marie. Couldn't still be here unless I had them.

And of course, both dogs. :)

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:03 pm

My ex-boss from many years ago!

She and I just became friends and despite changing jobs, company selloffs etc, and now even living in different countries we are still best of friends and in constant contact (aren't email and sms wonderful devices???) There have been times in the past few years that I don't know what I would have done without her.

Oops, almost forgot, my big sister is up there as a best friend too!

There is nothing like having really good friends is there?
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:17 pm

I have many friends but the true indicator of who is 'best' are the ones who know your very worst secrets and vices and love you anyway. The one whose door you could knock at 4am and they wouldn't ask why, just say, 'Come in, want a drink, you know where the bedclothes are, make yourself at home, we'll speak tomorrow.'

The person you could sit with and not need to chat, the person who doesn't care if you look like a tip, have no makeup on, or if you will ever earn a million dollars.

Friends, what would we do without them?
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:44 pm

my mum!

we had the usual mother-daughter love-hate relationship when i was younger but it's wonderful now that we're both grown-ups that i can tell her anything, and know that she's always there for me. we can talk about love and loss and life and death and watch tv together, shop together, and laugh with and at each other.

the other day i manually coloured her hair for her right here at home... and it felt so good to be able to do a simple thing like that for someone who's done so much for me.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 1:03 am

Hi Everyone

You'd not believe how black it is here, and has been for about half an hour and it's still not 5pm. Bloody winter nights.
But...............ONLY 21 DAYS TILL THE NIGHTS START TO GET LIGHTER.....yes!!

Anyway, back to the thread.....best friends........
(they think I'm doing a report at the pc here, the fools)

Isn't it sad though, those old best friends we've lost touch with? The girls or boys we knew sooo well when we were young. They knew who we fancied, they copied our clothes, we built dens with them, went swimming, to the flicks, to the dances at the school disco....and thought we'd know each other for ever.....and then....college, or uni, and jobs across the world, and then meet a partner and off we went.....

I wonder where they all are now...yes, Friendsreunited etc, but it's not the same as speaking regularly, is it?

Would we recognise them? Or they us? Would we have anything in common.......and here's another point.....when I do meet someone from my birth village say, they say, Hey, how are you, what've you been doing etc, and I say....Well I studied at such and such, then met a guy, then married and lived in Mid East, Malaysia, Singapore, Africa...blah blah.....and they always say....'Great' and that's about it.....they are not truly interested in my life and I always think....why should they be....is travelling the world going to make me a better person, or more interesting? Who knows......but I always think when I meet someone from the dim and distant past, say from juniors or upper school....'Blinking heck, they've aged badly, look like my dad/mum's age'........when of course I bet they're thinking the exact same thing.

Funny old life..........oooh heck, here comes misery guts for that report....
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.