Singapore Expats Forum

Sales VS Marketing

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

reshu

Sales VS Marketing

Postby reshu » Wed, 30 Nov 2005 3:53 pm

Hey, I would like to hear some views on Sales Jobs VS Marketing Jobs

Alot of Marketing Jobs advertised seem to just be direct sales jobs, or going door to door to promote your product to them.

To me a Sales Exec should learn techniques on how to talk to clients, learn negotiating skills and eventually make that sale and earn thier good cash from comissions.

A Marketing Exec should focus more on product development, gathering info from surveys and determine which product would sell to thier respective market and not be directly involved with the sales aspect at all.

Of course, the sales & the marketing exec have to work very closely with each other, but as it is 2 totally different fields, why is the title sales & marketing executive so common ? It it because they feel they have the same job? (which to me is so untrue)

Please let me know your views & opinions. Good Day.

BleepBleep

Postby BleepBleep » Sat, 03 Dec 2005 10:27 pm

You are right in that the 2 job functions are quite different but complementary.

A true marketing position will not involve the actual selling of products to customers in the job scope.

I suspect that when you do come across such a designation as sales and marketing executive, the company probably wants to save costs by getting the employee to perform both functions. Senior positions like sales and marketing manager or director on the other hand could mean that the person has 2 funtional teams reporting to him/her.