Singapore Expats Forum

Any bartending/similar jobs for Australians?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

timo

Any bartending/similar jobs for Australians?

Postby timo » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 8:26 pm

I just finished a law degree in Sydney but wanna work as a bartender in Singapore (I know i'm over-qualified but bartending's so much more fun). I can get the Employment Pass Eligibility so visa isn't a problem.

I don't have any experience. Do you know how hard it is for me to work in a bar/club in singapore? How willing will the bar be to support my visa? I look very ang mo (tall, blonde) so maybe that helps.

Any ideas welcome! (or if there's other fun jobs- ie not office jobs, out there i'd like to know too)

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 9:47 pm

To get an EP, you need company sponsorship. To get the sponsorship, the company has to prove that you have a talent that they can't fill locally (which is fair enough - we know how annoying it is when foreigners take our jobs :roll: ) and unfortunately being ang mo is not really a crucial point for pouring beer. So you have a problem right there, I'm afraid.

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

No chance

Postby ringo100 » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:08 pm

Yeah, almost no chance I think. What makes you think you can meet the EP criteria?

Also, why Singapore? Not exactly the pub/club capital of the world.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:14 pm

Self-confidence is not lacking here, is it?!

Hmm, why would getting an EP be so easy for you?

Anyway, I think HK would suit you better, the pub scene there is much more evolved and frenetic.

'nuff said Image

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:17 pm

Maybe he's related to the local powers that be? With a peroxide dyejob an over 6 feet maybe can? :wink: I mean, he said he was Ang Mo looking not necessarily an Ang Mo.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Wed, 30 Nov 2005 8:54 am

Why don't you go to London? Plenty of booze-head kiwi's and aussies over there pouring beers for the fun of it...

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 30 Nov 2005 9:36 am

I just finished a law degree in Sydney but wanna work as a bartender in Singapore (I know i'm over-qualified but bartending's so much more fun).

A solicitor/barrister over-qualified :lol: :lol: (damn, hope Mrs 'Cluse doesn't see my remark)

'nuff said Image