Singapore Expats Forum

Find job through company itself or recruitment agency?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Trish
Regular
Regular

Find job through company itself or recruitment agency?

Postby Trish » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 9:25 am

Hi, I am looking for a full time job. So just wanna find out whether it's better to find a job through company itself or recruitment agency? cos i rem hearing fr someone that if u find job through recruitment agency they will actually take up part of your pay as commission and deprive you of chances of getting higher pay. Is it true? Can someone please advise? Tks!

BullDog

Postby BullDog » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 7:47 pm

Trish, that is not true. The recruiter will bill the employer, not you. In any case, you should try both avenues to maximise your chances of finding the right job. :D

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Sat, 03 Dec 2005 6:04 am

Avoid such recruitment agencies. They're a fraud, waiting to be closed down. Then they start another...hehe

Seriously, as BullDog said, go both avenues...
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Trish
Regular
Regular

Postby Trish » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 1:57 pm

Tks Bulldog and riversandlakes. Went to a Dutch Bank yesterday for interview through a recutiment agency. And the recruitment agency actually describe the job scope as credit card processing and so no. In the end, the interviewer told me i won't get involved in any of the processing and only get to do data entries for the employment and it's a very boring & dry job. wasted my time to go down twice. Last friday they actually postpone the interview so last minute when i was in a cab and abt to reach. There goes my $11.30 :x Wat a stupid agency! They shld have told me straight tt it's a data entries job man. :mad: :mad: :mad:

abbby
Regular
Regular

Postby abbby » Tue, 06 Dec 2005 2:08 pm

You can do it both ways, look out for job openings yourself and also from the recruitment agencies.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Wed, 07 Dec 2005 1:13 am

If I'm not wrong there's only one Dutch bank here? Hehe

I'm surprised. Did they mislead you on the job description (JD)?

My view on recruiters is such that it is in their best interests to ask for a larger salary - as big as possible without losing the deal. Of course, it is up to you to push the envelope ;)

Trish
Regular
Regular

Postby Trish » Wed, 07 Dec 2005 3:18 pm

riversandlakes wrote:If I'm not wrong there's only one Dutch bank here? Hehe

I'm surprised. Did they mislead you on the job description (JD)?

My view on recruiters is such that it is in their best interests to ask for a larger salary - as big as possible without losing the deal. Of course, it is up to you to push the envelope ;)

Oops...I nt v sure there is how many Dutch Bank in Singapore :) ...The agency did misled me on the JD...But the interviewer was v nice and explained to me tt I won't learn anything fr this boring job...I went to a few agencies nowadays and all of them said nowadays banking and finance industry seldom have perm job as it's coming to an end of the year and oso they don employ fresh grads and for banking jobs, mostly all are temp and emphasize to me tt the banking job they have are all $6 per hr and give me a snobbish look as if I'm v pathetic...Phui!

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Thu, 08 Dec 2005 1:56 am

Trish, not familiar with your field, but perhaps the key to a leg into the door is via a temp position? Or sales?

Trish
Regular
Regular

Postby Trish » Sat, 10 Dec 2005 6:32 pm

riversandlakes wrote:Trish, not familiar with your field, but perhaps the key to a leg into the door is via a temp position? Or sales?

hee....tks riversandlakes...