Singapore Expats Forum

Van Nguyen Prayer Thread

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

singabloodypore

Postby singabloodypore » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 3:45 pm

this is not how i wanted this thread to turn out. :(

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 3:50 pm

Best laid plans of mice & men.....
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 3:58 pm

singabloodypore wrote:this is not how i wanted this thread to turn out. :(

You reap what you sow, sbp. If you are constantly heaping crap on otehrs opinions and posts, without any cerdence, and then expect to be left alone when trying to be serious - - -

Yea, I guess Bremen is right about you.

'nuff said Image

singabloodypore

Postby singabloodypore » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 4:44 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
Yea, I guess Bremen is right about you.

right about what?

singabloodypore

Postby singabloodypore » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 4:44 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:Best laid plans of mice & men.....

nice...

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 4:49 pm

singabloodypore wrote:
Baron Greenback wrote:Best laid plans of mice & men.....

nice...

no, mice!

'nuff said Image

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 6:17 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
singabloodypore wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Somebody called?

holy mother of christ,
is that you?

You silly twit. Asking for prayers and then calling the mother of christ a troll! All in the same post. You are a real piece of work you know!

Now then SMS we should all be praying for this clowns sanity. :D :D :D :D Oops I forgot he's allergic to these icons.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 6:31 pm

Enough, enough, for God's sake. Yes, any God, yours, mine, or no God at all type folk.

This is all about HUMAN COMPASSION. Can't you see this?

Where is your compassion?

Whatever you think about this young man, or any person who sells drugs, or worse, for kindness and humanness, can't you put your hand on your heart and FEEL for them?

This man is going to DIE. Surely that is the ultimate price anyone can pay and having paid it surely his slate should be wiped clean.

And if you believe in any God, then you must also believe he has a greater judge to face after death, and be even sorrier for him?

These kind thoughts are about the living. His mother, his brother, father, family. Leaving religion aside, it's a mark of humanity to be able to empathize with how this dreadful act will affect them.

Why do you take this thread and turn it into some sort of academic exercise of how vile you can be?

All this person was asking for was a little thought, sent out on the modern medium of the internet, yes, ok, in the form of a religious prayer, but you don't have to be religious to be heartsore for the family.

The boy is living now, yes, he did wrong, very wrong, but EVERYONE deserves forgiveness. On Thursday night he will still be breathing, maybe eating, crying, wanting to hold his mum. On Friday morning that woman will watch as the baby she gave birth to is hung by the neck till dead.
Every last second she will watch. Never having been allowed to touch him, even till then. Knowing that the rope is strangling his lifeforce. What will those last seconds glances be like? How will she ever live a normal life again? What shitty, filthy routes and turnabouts and chances in life has brought this family to this ending?

How can we sit here and say, 'He deserves it' when but for the grace of God, or whoever it is you believe in, go we? What if our parents had split, what if our mothers had been thrown out on the street? What if she'd gone to prostitution to keep a roof over our heads? What if having to sleep with hundreds of disgusting men was too much for her? What if she turned to drugs to ease the pain? All these things, and much worse, happen to totally nice folk, and yes, they can all be called 'bad' things. But tell me truthfully, do folks deserve to meet despicable ends because of life happenings?

DON'T WE ALL DESERVE A SECOND CHANCE, OR IF NOT, FORGIVENESS FOR OUR 'SINS?'

OK, this young man may have had a 'normal' life, but where is your humanity that you cannot, in your heart, reach out and think, 'Poor thing, let's hope he does not suffer and is forgiven?'

That's all I ask.

Bubbs.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Breaker Morant

Postby Breaker Morant » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 6:34 pm

Bubbles wrote:How can we sit here and say, 'He deserves it' when but for the grace of God, or whoever it is you believe in, go we? What if our parents had split, what if our mothers had been thrown out on the street? What if she'd gone to prostitution to keep a roof over our heads? What if having to sleep with hundreds of disgusting men was too much for her? What if she turned to drugs to ease the pain? All these things, and much worse, happen to totally nice folk, and yes, they can all be called 'bad' things. But tell me truthfully, do folks deserve to meet despicable ends because of life happenings?

Well, if my mother had turned to drugs, I'd want the bastard that supplied them to her hanged.

Not much different to what's happening on Friday.

singabloodypore

Postby singabloodypore » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 6:35 pm

thank you bubbles, that was wonderful.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 6:35 pm

Very well said, Bubbles. Compassion... a trait that seems to be lacking in most of the world's population.

singabloodypore

Postby singabloodypore » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 6:37 pm

Breaker Morant wrote:Well, if my mother had turned to drugs, I'd want the bastard that supplied them to her hanged.

Not much different to what's happening on Friday.

keep the negativity aside in this thread.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 7:31 pm

Well said, Bubbles.

Just a bit of info on Van Nyugen for all those determined to dehumanise him:

He was born in a Thai refugee camp and has a twin brother (the same brother that he is about to be killed for trying to help). His mother raised the boys alone and they have never had any contact with their father. This woman and her children were granted refugee status in Australia where she raised her children in a land where she had no friends, family or support and could not speak the language of the land.

I cannot for the life of me imagine the sheer hell that is going on in that poor woman's mind right now, and how she will feel on Friday morning. I feel so, so very sorry for her and her sons, who had no one - and soon will have one less.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 7:33 pm

But Breaker, would you want your grandparents, who threw your mum out in the street and started the downward spiral to be killed too?

Where does the blame lie? How far back in the chain?

I mean, would it be your fault your mum had taken to a bad road? Should you be done away with?

There are faults, and faults, and bad things, and blame, and wrong roads taken, and terrible things we do we shouldn't, and after all this I still say, everyone deserves a second chance.

Yes, of bloody course I'd want revenge if someone killed my loved ones, but in all honesty I really couldn't have the blood of taking another human beings life on my hands, however despicable they were.

It's all about turning the other cheek and hoping for the goodness to show. Yes that sounds all religious and whimsical, but in REALITY, there is either compassion, or there is soullessness, and I don't mean anything to do with God here.

It's just degrees of love, isn't it, and empathy. You don't have to love your enemy, or any bad person, but if you wish for their death, and glory in their or their family's pain, well, you're lost, that's all I can say.

Yeah, yeah, know it's not what everyone thinks, but I for one am desperately sad that a mother will be witness to a deliberate ending of a life she began. That is all.

Yes....laws are laws, but you know what they say.......if you can't have an opinion then life is not worth living.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ringo100 » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 8:42 pm

I agree with Bubbles. I'm not religious but one of the best things to come out of Christianity is the idea of forgiveness to all that repent.

I know very little about this person or this case (a bit like almost everyone else on this forum); but do I think this person is evil? No. How could I possibly know if he his evil let alone condemn him to death. I do think he is stupid.

I’m not even sure I think drug dealing warrants a life sentence, but that’s another argument.

I just think that taking life is only acceptable when there is a clear and present danger. I don't believe this is case here.