Singapore Expats

what is an SPG?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:01 am

Looks quite authentic, the pic... :)

I am ok lah....

BUT....

I be back soon, seen enough again here of this country... :cry:

Eric

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:01 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:oh are we inventing words now? waggers!
To wig out (slang)
To make or become wildly excited, enthusiastic, or crazy.

See?
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:06 am

Carpe Diem wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:oh are we inventing words now? waggers!
To wig out (slang)
To make or become wildly excited, enthusiastic, or crazy.

See?
mine means the same.

To wagger (canine slang)
To demonstrate great excitement, enthusiasm, or craziness by thumping one's tail.

See?

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:07 am

Canine slang?
Mine was British slang...

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:10 am

hey no fair! you changed your post while i was replying.

don't know what slang this is, but do you know what's a "wiggie"?

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:15 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:hey no fair! you changed your post while i was replying.
Ha ha ha, I knew it!!

Wiggie? No idea. I need to improve my English first. Slang will come later.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:18 am

Carpe Diem wrote:Wiggie? No idea.
me neither. but it does sound like a nice slang word, doesn't it? ah, it's past my bedtime and i'm spouting nonsense. at least this time i managed to reply before you changed your post. i'm a happy camper :D

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Post by Carpe Diem » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:19 am

So what was your first reply??

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:25 am

Carpe Diem wrote:So what was your first reply??
you'll never know now will you? ha serves you right for changing so quickly. :P

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Post by sapphire » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 8:03 am

Carpe Diem wrote:
sapphire wrote:Not to forget, arrogant. I thought you had trouble understanding my accent, seems not. :-|

Btw, you showing off again? Wigging? Wtf is that?
Yes arrogant of course. Ask the Americans.. :-#
Haha, I like Americans unlike some people I know. :roll:

I wonder if this discussion on SPGs has helped some people or not. My question is, are SPGs exclusive to Singers? I would imagine they exist in other Asian countries as well, no? Maybe one sees them more here because Singers is a small country, hence a concentrated population of them is much more visible here than elsewhere.
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

T2K
Regular
Regular

Post by T2K » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 10:01 am

Well, like I said, I think the term is stupid since it's meaning is different depending on who you ask.

If you go to Tokyo, Shanghai, Bangkok, Jakarta, Hong Kong, Manila, etc you see lots of white guy / Asian girl couples. So, given the vagueness of the term, I guess it could be applied in those places as well.

Here's the situation:

1. Whites are easily recognizable in Asia due to ethnicity
2. Most whites living in Asia are at least pretty well paid, on up to ridiculously well-off
3. Just by being here, whites in Asia are at least somewhat well-travelled on up to globetrotting jetsetters
4. Being professionals, they are at least pretty well educated on up to very highly educated/qualified

Exceptions exist, but the odds of all of the above being true for any non-backpacker ang moh you see in Singapore are very good.

So, on the streets and in the bars, when Asian girls see a white guy they know all these things right away.

If, in my hometown in the US (where almost everyone is white), there was some ID badge or special hat or certain shirt that only well-paid, well-educated, well-travelled guys were allowed to wear it would increase their odds a lot too! Then, a certain stigma would be attached to those wearing said ID badge, or hat, or shirt - and to those girls dating them. And we would pretty much be where we are today here in SG with the whole SPG thing.

I've said all this before. It's an interesting topic.

resydog

SPG and expats

Post by resydog » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 8:02 pm

In response to ironlady, most expats who do marry asian women tend to marry those who are very attractive, and yes, they do wear sexy clothes. You mentioned why they do this and other local couples do not.... I guess it is a sense of the asian women being very comfortable with them selves, and they like to feel sexy, unlike most other women back in australia who would rather go out to dinner in a pair of trackie dacks...

I would not criticize the women who end up with expats, as at the end of the day, if they are happy, then so be it......
What goes around comes around......

delirium

SPG

Post by delirium » Sat, 10 Dec 2005 3:12 am

Hello all,

SPG means a local girl who will ONLY go out with a white guy, be he's old, bald, ugly or whatsoever. SPG's objective is to date or hook a white guy. It's not mainly due to money factor, although there're some who do want rich white guys, but mostly it's based on biased thinking that whites are better than the rest. SPG girls commonly speak in fake accents, be it American, British or Aussie. Other traits of these girls are long hair and clad in sexy clothes.

I don't deny that there are some local girls (non-SPG) who found true love with white expats here. Meanwhile, SPGs see their white boyfriends as trophies. [/i][/b]

Rosh

R They SPGs?

Post by Rosh » Sat, 10 Dec 2005 12:03 pm

T2K wrote:
If you go to Tokyo, Shanghai, Bangkok, Jakarta, Hong Kong, Manila, etc you see lots of white guy / Asian girl couples. So, given the vagueness of the term, I guess it could be applied in those places as well.

Here's the situation:

1. Whites are easily recognizable in Asia due to ethnicity
2. Most whites living in Asia are at least pretty well paid, on up to ridiculously well-off
3. Just by being here, whites in Asia are at least somewhat well-travelled on up to globetrotting jetsetters
4. Being professionals, they are at least pretty well educated on up to very highly educated/qualified

Exceptions exist, but the odds of all of the above being true for any non-backpacker ang moh you see in Singapore are very good.
There seem to be too many sweeping generalisations in this thread.

I'm an Indian expat living in a condo and I fit into 2, 3 and 4 above almost perfectly. I'm not white but brown coloured.

I date a cute Filipino woman, used to date a local Chinese gal but gave up on her for the Filipino because the latter i find to be more sincere and affectionate as a companion.

My question is would you call both these girls SPGs? .... from the definitions which have been floated around here they don't seem to fit into the category because they are not dating a White man .... correct?

I think these labels don't really matter ... lets treat people as people and at the end of the day its one's sincereity which matter ... and clicks. :D :cool:

ironlady
Regular
Regular

Post by ironlady » Sun, 11 Dec 2005 8:38 am

:cool: why dont we all let those SPG's answer this questions..seee...even yest in clementi, i saw a white , baldy in t-shirt and shorts and the lass beside him was wearin a black dress front v-necked real low cut and the first time that came into my mind is that... there goes another SPG but hardly got boobies but still want to show...

oh yeah that brings into my mind,that whenevr I see both a white couple,the lady never shows much of her boobies then y r the SPG doing that is that one way to make sure that the white guy gives all his attention to her boobies n wont look at other women ahahhahahahahahaa :P :P

now i just remember last week i was in NUH and while waiting for the doc... i saw a white guy, neatly dressed and the chinese woman beside him was a true replica of Olive ..popeye's wif...pole like tall n thin...very short bob hairstyle...n big silver glasses...dunno what the heck he saw in her......

lets all just face it..whenever we see a white guy wif another Asian nationality...we just think tht " there goes the ATM Machine" hahahahahhaa
Life is not like a smooth sailing ship.It has ups n downs

Return to “Events, Gatherings, Making Friends”