Singapore Expats Forum

Media/Publishing Industry

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

queenmina

Media/Publishing Industry

Postby queenmina » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:21 am

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much the going rates are for editorial positions (mid-level to full editors excluding editors in chief) in the publishing industry. I've been trying to do my own online research but I get figures starting at S$2000 all the way to S$7000 and I'm not sure what is what. Help? :???:

Thanks!
S'all good in the hood...

napseb68

Postby napseb68 » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 11:38 pm

Depending on if its a private firm or state run.

Private firms pay well sooner, eg sub or page editors wld get around 6-7K and the state run firms wld pay lesser.

Bottom line - it pays to enter the private sector and then it all depends of course on teh profitability of the mag/publication you work on

Experience & paper credentials also play a big role unless u were on a world renown title eg Economist or Time, ,in which case they hire u without asking too many questions apart from making reference calls

WARNING THO
Recently many Sing employers are wisening up and asking for proof of last drawn salary or want to speak to references who can confirm your lost payslips - even for expats. Reason - loads of well qualified Sing are coming back after 5-10 years overseas, and that is the real competition

queenmina

Thanks!

Postby queenmina » Fri, 02 Dec 2005 8:49 am

Appreciate your help. Thanks for the tip. Private sector it is. Wish me luck!

kitin82

Re: Media/Publishing Industry

Postby kitin82 » Sat, 03 Dec 2005 5:23 pm

queenmina wrote:Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much the going rates are for editorial positions (mid-level to full editors excluding editors in chief) in the publishing industry. I've been trying to do my own online research but I get figures starting at S$2000 all the way to S$7000 and I'm not sure what is what. Help? :???:

Thanks!

Hey, check out today's (Saturday, 3 Dec 05) Straits Time - Recruit..i think a good job opportunities for you!! Hope that helps... :D

James**
Regular
Regular

Postby James** » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 12:50 am

Try the web sites of jobstreet and jobsdb where many employers do post their openings online.. happy hunting!

queenmina

Many thanks

Postby queenmina » Sat, 10 Dec 2005 5:51 pm

Appreciate all the help! :D