Singapore Expats

Anyone knows any good English tuition teacher?

Discuss the various enrichment courses that interests your child. It can be tuition classes to robotics courses.
limpeisinilaopa

Anyone knows any good English tuition teacher?

Post by limpeisinilaopa » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 1:31 am

Hi! I'm a mum of two kids - 7 and 10.
Would love to find a good English tution teacher for my children.
Any recommendations?

Thanks!

napseb68

Post by napseb68 » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 3:22 am

yep - but are u one of those mom's who interfere with their kids tuitition periods and decide on the process and amt of homework

i know someone but believe it or not - parents arrange for her time and even pay first month upfront !!

Yep - SHE"S THAT GOOD!!

But believe u me - if you are one of those who dont work with her - she will simply give u your money back and tell you to call her when you reach your kids IQ... er,,,,, she said that once to a mom.... several years ago ....

Happy ending tho, the mom relented, the teacher came, back,,,, 8 years later the kid graduates from NUS Law and invites her tutor to pop the cork at teh celebration table !! I hear the mom is still afraid of teh tutor!!!

LOL

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 9:24 am

napseb68 wrote:yep - but are u one of those mom's who interfere with their kids tuitition periods and decide on the process and amt of homework

i know someone but believe it or not - parents arrange for her time and even pay first month upfront !!

Yep - SHE"S THAT GOOD!!

But believe u me - if you are one of those who dont work with her - she will simply give u your money back and tell you to call her when you reach your kids IQ... er,,,,, she said that once to a mom.... several years ago ....

Happy ending tho, the mom relented, the teacher came, back,,,, 8 years later the kid graduates from NUS Law and invites her tutor to pop the cork at teh celebration table !! I hear the mom is still afraid of teh tutor!!!

LOL
Geez, she sounds charming... When kids are afraid of their teacher, how much do you think they learn? As for telling parents to come back when they reach their child's IQ - well. Appalling! Anyone can teach kids who are bright and want to learn, and they'll probably do well no matter what.

OP, what area do you live in, what kind of tuition do your kids need, and what type of lessons are you looking for (do you want them in the same lesson together, worksheets or communication-based?) Do you want them to be in small groups with other kids or only them? All this will affect your price range.

It might be cheaper to approach an enrichment centre - but there are some serious dodgy dogs out there. I might be able to help and could recommend some places for you, so PM me if you want.

napseb68

Post by napseb68 » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 12:27 pm

Never said the kids were afraid of her - only their parents!! in fact - the kids loved her .... u are not a good listener

Anyway - rather than turn this into an issue abt u - if the person before is looking for a good eng teacher - there is this lady - she is a bit of a legend in the bkt timah area

However she does not teach indon students cos of their parents with superiorty complex making the students focus on math (millionaires lang) not eng / also she does not take on those who are rich enuf to send their kids to English camps over summer vacation as many in bkt timah do ...

50% of her kids dont pay or dont pay in full and she gives much of her time to minority races here - many of whom have done her much proud

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 7:19 pm

k1w1 wrote:
napseb68 wrote:yep - but are u one of those mom's who interfere with their kids tuitition periods and decide on the process and amt of homework

Yep - SHE"S THAT GOOD!!

LOL
Geez, she sounds charming... When kids are afraid of their teacher, how much do you think they learn? As for telling parents to come back when they reach their child's IQ - well. Appalling! Anyone can teach kids who are bright and want to learn, and they'll probably do well no matter what.

OP, what area do you live in, what kind of tuition do your kids need, and what type of lessons are you looking for (do you want them in the same lesson together, worksheets or communication-based?) Do you want them to be in small groups with other kids or only them? All this will affect your price range.

It might be cheaper to approach an enrichment centre - but there are some serious dodgy dogs out there. I might be able to help and could recommend some places for you, so PM me if you want.
K1w1,

I am always, frankly amazed at your depthless capacity to answer the even the most unredeeming posts. I so often give up when language or attitude seem an unsurmountable barricade, but there you go -- charging up with hill every time, with a fair amount of grace I might add. Bravo!

I am, however, wondering how you respond to this, if at all:

"Never said the kids were afraid of her - only their parents!! in fact - the kids loved her .... u are not a good listener

Anyway - rather than turn this into an issue abt u - if the person before is looking for a good eng teacher - there is this lady - she is a bit of a legend in the bkt timah area

However she does not teach indon students cos of their parents with superiorty complex making the students focus on math (millionaires lang) not eng / also she does not take on those who are rich enuf to send their kids to English camps over summer vacation as many in bkt timah do ...

50% of her kids dont pay or dont pay in full and she gives much of her time to minority races here - many of whom have done her much proud"

I find nothing there to respond to, but I bet you will. You a re a far better forum member than I am, my hat's off to you...

:)

MHB

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 7:42 pm

Aw shucks... *takes a bow* I wasn't going to bother answering the second reply, but the first one got me annoyed for a few reasons and I just can't help myself...

I love teaching and I take it very seriously. I'm also a mum that worries incessantly about schooling and education (it's just soooo important) and have made it my personal mission to find out as much as I can about the options available here. I hope I might be able to help out other parents, who are undoubtably as worried as myself, by passing on some of the stuff I know. Moreso, when they get moronic replies.

In the classroom I try to be as far from serious as possible. Kids learn most when they feel accepted, happy and they feel like the person they are working with genuinely wants to help them. They also need to know that they are safe from personal criticism and comparison. Telling parents that they are stupid is just down-right disgusting. And the comments about not taking Indonesian kids... I don't even know how I can answer that! Not without using some four-letter words.

I work with pushy parents too, and the one thing they all have in common is that they are worried about their kids and want someone to help. Sometimes, it is hard but while I (hopefully) know my job, parents know their kids. This (I believe) is where teachers need to back up a bit and find the middle road with parents. It really helps the kids a LOT when these lines of communication are open - and that should be the goal of course, not stroking anyone's ego or lining their pockets.

Hmm, 'guess I just went on about me a bit there. Ah, well... :wink:

blue twinkle

Post by blue twinkle » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 1:21 am

hi,
i know of one - she's really lovely. you could try calling her and see if she is avaliable. PM me for her number.

(sorry to add a change of subject here , k1w1 - just to let you know, i was at popular bookshop bras basah and saw a book called " raising girls " with forward by the guy who wrote " raising boys" , steve bidulph.)

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:11 am

Hey thanks, blue twinkle! I'll check it out!

napseb68

Post by napseb68 » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 7:01 pm

well getting back to the matter at hand...

the 5 YO
my swedish friend with her 5 yo tried drama lessons (garden hotel, balmoral rd ) and a school near Am Club at tanglin (dont know the costs tho) - think it was a little more thn those on Dunearn or Holland V

the mom tells me she really improved & more importantly got rid of the lang shyness and adjustment issues

For both kids tho:
u might wanna try Morris Alan (nr newton mrt, clemenceau ave) - it might be a gd bet if i u wanna save on drving the two of them around seperately - the teachers are trained native speakers - of course u need to speak to the schools directly cos its been a while since i used them and things may have changed - - importantly the school is very open to parents - but as with all schools here hoping to attract the local students. it may be highly paper focussed - call them and see if u can pick different modules

Personal experience - Drama lessons - a lot of drama schools here understand that they are being used for english proficiency outlets so they do make an effort to correct pron and grammar - the kids learn without realising it - of course not much of spelling - i guess it depends on where they stand now in terms of language proficiency - but get them enrolled - its just plain fun !!

let us know how u go