Singapore Expats Forum

Honkers

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sth

Honkers

Postby sth » Sat, 26 Nov 2005 4:42 pm

Wondering if there is anyone who has recently moved from HK to Sing who may be able to give me some insight on the folowing:

Clearly the cost of living is much higher in HK, but by what margin? Lets say you earn S$10,000 p.a., what would be the HK equiv to afford the same / similar standard of living if you get what I mean - 20% more, 50% more...?

Cheers.
...why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 1:15 am

Hi, we moved from HK to Sing about 10 months ago, but this is a hard question to answer.

So many things are different here to there, but in different ways.

The biggest difference is in your home. Rent for property there is way higher than here. The cost for flats, and what you get for your money is way different here to there. Prices are fluctuating a lot too. When we moved the price was about 50% more for the equivalent flat etc, but the prices were changing at the time and heading back to pre SARS prices which were astronimical (at least another 20%). I suppose it depends on what you are looking for flat wise. If you want car parking, and condo facilities with pool etc you are going to pay big time. If you want low rise, or house type accomodation then expect to pay even more (at least 3x Sing prices).

Food, electricity, water etc are pretty much on par to here. Some more expensive, some cheaper. Pretty much swings and roundabouts. Cars are cheaper (surprise surprise) but still pricey as is petrol. Parking for your car is mega expensive.

What we have found is that we are paying out about the same every month as we were in HK, but now we are living in a bigger flat with better facilities(50% bigger!).

Sorry, couldn't give you an actual figure, but it's just not that easy! Hope this helps anyway :)

sth

Postby sth » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 9:57 am

Brilliant. That's exactly what I was after.... Always a bit tough to pose the question in the first place. I now have an idea as to how I'd calculate my salary should I decide to take up a position in HK.

One other question - I assume (personal) tax in HK is pretty similar to Sing...?

Lastly, out of interest, which city do you prefer - Sing or HK? I get mixed reviews on this one so would appreciate your take on this too.

Cheers for the info. Much appreciated.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 6:25 pm

I'm glad it helped a bit, I wasn't sure if that was what you were after.

Salary tax in HK is basically flat 16%. You could be up for other tax if company pays for rental etc, but usually it can be worked out so that you do not pay any tax. Their tax website is really helpful and easy to navigate from memory.

As for which place do we like better? Wow, another tough question. It depends on what you are looking for. Can't comment on the nightlife too much, (I have two kids that keep me at home a lot), but my husband actually prefers the nightlife here.

I like the general atmosphere and surrounds etc here in Singapore better, it is cleaner (in particular the air, the haze there has been particularly bad for past few years) and as I said before our living accomodation is much better here than in HK for a cheaper price.

Quite liked the seasons in HK, but when it is hot it is really hot and sticky and it rains just like here...don't forget the odd typhoon thrown in for good luck, they can make life interesting!

Getting around on public transport is about the same, although I found it a little easier initially there, but not much different in price. The amount of places to go is about the same, both are pretty confined when you think about it but we have always found find things to do. Travel to nearby countries is easy there too.

I miss the shopping in HK, OK I know there is heaps here too, but I love the markets etc over there and the ones here are a bit clinical if you know what I mean.

Overall I like them both, for different reasons, they have their own uniqueness that makes them what they are.

Hmmm, just reading through this I don't think I have helped you at all :?
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

sth

Postby sth » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 9:31 pm

Thank you. Very useful.

Return to “General Discussions”