Concrete jungle

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
Post Reply
User avatar
Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1587
Joined: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:29 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Carpe Diem » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 5:52 pm

briceloh wrote:Yeah, i wonder what's wrong with snails too. I tasted snails in Paris. Nice and tender, goes great with wine! Hmm, wonder if we can get it in Singapore? I heard they starved the snails for a month before cooking them, is that true?
Not one month, about one week. During this time the snails will issue a lot of foam in what is called disgorging themselves.
For sure you can find them in Singapore, many French restaurants serve them.
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

User avatar
briceloh
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 7:21 pm

Post by briceloh » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 5:56 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
Not one month, about one week. During this time the snails will issue a lot of foam in what is called disgorging themselves.
For sure you can find them in Singapore, many French restaurants serve them.
Great! Thx, can't wait to intro this dish to my friends. Yummy. :P
IBMing

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4278
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005 2:13 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Plavt » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 7:30 pm

briceloh wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
Plavt wrote:
Well........I am told snake taste something like chicken (can't compare myself - shortage of python in British restaurants) so at least many won't have known the difference. Must say better than those bloody snails my Filipina friend keeps eating every time I see her......... : :tongue:
What's wrong with snails?
Yeah, i wonder what's wrong with snails too. I tasted snails in Paris. Nice and tender, goes great with wine! Hmm, wonder if we can get it in Singapore? I heard they starved the snails for a month before cooking them, is that true?
Carpe Diem and Briceloh,I can understand Carpe Diem asking the question (not sure of your nationality Briceloh) but the snails I was referring to are those found in The Philippines. I have no idea about those the French eat and am not particularly interested - sight alone puts me off. I mean aint it bad enough watching Gordon Ramsey and seeing the rest of Europe is now trying to persuade drinking horse's milk is no bad thing........ :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4278
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005 2:13 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Plavt » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 7:45 pm

Vaucluse wrote:
Plavt wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:And the hawker centre next door had a 'chicken' special for the next two weeks . . .

Well........I am told snake taste something like chicken (can't compare myself - shortage of python in British restaurants) so at least many won't have known the difference. Must say better than those bloody snails my Filipina friend keeps eating every time I see her......... : :tongue:



Snake and chicken? Yes, fairly similar. Had to go to Taipei almost weekly a few years back and was introduced to snake (in snake alley), monkey and the rest there - <puke> did NOT partake in the monkey . . .
Very interesting Mr Vaucluse, I read recently that the incidents of food poisoning in Taiwan were less than anywhere else due to their cooking methods. On the other hand with monkey and so many oddities (to me and other English anyway) perhaps being ill is the least of their concerns.
A one time Chinese Malaysian friend invited me to dinner, wasn't a bad meal but I sometimes wonder if the locals don't have asbestos throats and cast iron stomachs meaning no disrespect to different nationalities of course. :D :D :D :D :D

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3292
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 2:47 pm

Post by Vaucluse » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 9:22 pm

Plavt wrote:[
Very interesting Mr Vaucluse, I read recently that the incidents of food poisoning in Taiwan were less than anywhere else due to their cooking methods. On the other hand with monkey and so many oddities (to me and other English anyway) perhaps being ill is the least of their concerns.
A one time Chinese Malaysian friend invited me to dinner, wasn't a bad meal but I sometimes wonder if the locals don't have asbestos throats and cast iron stomachs meaning no disrespect to different nationalities of course. :D :D :D :D :D


:) - - - very true. The family went to the local hawker centre for braekfast to have our usual roti prata, teh tarik and nasi lemak - very mild foods - but a look at the fish-head curry, fried this and that . . . for breakfast . . . :?
......................................................

'nuff said Image

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2242
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 12:47 pm

Post by Wind In My Hair » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 1:36 am

Vaucluse wrote:fish-head curry
gosh, you don't know what you're missing. still, at least i don't go for the eyeballs. it's apparently the best part. :wink:

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3292
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 2:47 pm

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 9:05 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:fish-head curry
gosh, you don't know what you're missing. still, at least i don't go for the eyeballs. it's apparently the best part. :wink:



For breakfast . . .
......................................................

'nuff said Image

User avatar
Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Still looking for Paradise

Post by Global Citizen » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:22 pm

I love escargot. About the next most exotic thing I've eaten would be grilled eel in sushi which is pretty damn good.

Vaucluse, did you partake in the freshly squeezed snake's blood in potent local brewed whisky? Saw men lining up to get their shot. Appears to be very popular as it supposedly induces virility. :o
One man's meat is another's poison.

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4278
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005 2:13 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Plavt » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 2:23 am

Global Citizen wrote: supposedly induces virility.
Not sure sure Frenchmen need anything to induce virility - far more amour than us cold clammy English - so some would say. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Plavt.

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3292
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 2:47 pm

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 9:38 am

Plavt wrote:
Global Citizen wrote: supposedly induces virility.
Not sure sure Frenchmen need anything to induce virility - far more amour than us cold clammy English - so some would say. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Plavt.



Nope, didn't partake =P~ but somehow still managed to get Mrs 'Cluse pregnant . . .

(It's not your fault, though - you need more sun)
......................................................

'nuff said Image

User avatar
Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Still looking for Paradise

Post by Global Citizen » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 9:57 am

Vaucluse wrote: (It's not your fault, though - you need more sun)
Oops- did I just detect sarcasm? I wasn't questioning your virilty in any way, shape or form, no way. Merely referring to what you wrote and what I observed there.

You're right about the sun though; I miss the warm sunshine and dressing for it likewise.
One man's meat is another's poison.

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3292
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 2:47 pm

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:20 am

Global Citizen wrote:
Vaucluse wrote: (It's not your fault, though - you need more sun)
Oops- did I just detect sarcasm? I wasn't questioning your virilty in any way, shape or form, no way. Merely referring to what you wrote and what I observed there.

You're right about the sun though; I miss the warm sunshine and dressing for it likewise.



hahahaha - -no, no, no. I was referring to Plavt's clammy English description.
Question ahead . . . :lol:
......................................................

'nuff said Image

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3505
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 5:19 pm
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Post by Saint » Tue, 29 Nov 2005 6:06 pm

Plavt wrote:
Not sure sure Frenchmen need anything to induce virility - far more amour than us cold clammy English - so some would say. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Plavt.
Speak for yourself :lol:

User avatar
Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1587
Joined: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:29 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Carpe Diem » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:02 am

briceloh wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:
Not one month, about one week. During this time the snails will issue a lot of foam in what is called disgorging themselves.
For sure you can find them in Singapore, many French restaurants serve them.
Great! Thx, can't wait to intro this dish to my friends. Yummy. :P
A bit expensive, but you will get what you pay for...
(That's at Au Petit Salut near Holland Village)

I will be in China that week :x

Image
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

User avatar
Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:30 pm
Location: Still looking for Paradise

Post by Global Citizen » Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:14 am

CD, what are beef cheeks, hmmm?
One man's meat is another's poison.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests