Singapore Expats Forum

Things that we do NOT discuss

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:26 pm

no taboos please...

such a waste to have them, takes away all the fun in life I'd say? If you for example do not like to discuss sexuality free and openly, then don't. But know you're missing a lot of fun... :o

Eric

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:46 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:no taboos please...

such a waste to have them, takes away all the fun in life I'd say? If you for example do not like to discuss sexuality free and openly, then don't. But know you're missing a lot of fun... :o

Eric

So many people in the US seem to see the sex organs of the human body as "dirty" or unmentionable. I like the come back, "If you think the product is 'dirty', please see the designer."

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Fri, 25 Nov 2005 7:58 am

Oh SE, an oldie but goodie.

I don't think taboos as such are such an awful thing. There are things that fall into the 'too much information' category. My ex-sister-in-law had this problem. She never knew when to shut up. Or why you shouldn't discuss your personal battle with incontinence at the Christmas eve dinner table.

There is a time and place to discuss: politics, money, health issues, etc... and knowing when and where makes all the difference.