Singapore Expats Forum

I HIGHLY recommend this book...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

I HIGHLY recommend this book...

Postby Em Eye » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:24 am

A Million Little Pieces, James Frey

Here is how it starts...

I wake to the drone of an airplane engine and the feeling of something warm dripping down my chin. I lift my hand to feel my face. My front four teeth are gone, I have a hole in my cheek, my nose is broken and my eyes are swollen nearly shut. I open them and I look around and I'm in the back of a plane and there's no one near me. I look at my clothes and my clothes are covered with a colorful mixture of spit, snot, urine, vomit and blood. I reach for the call button and I find it and I push it and I wait and thirty seconds later an Attendant arrives.
How can I help you?
Where am I going?
You don't know?
No.
You're going to Chicago, Sir.
How did I get here?
A Doctor and two men brought you on.
They say anything?
They talked to the Captain, Sir. We were told to let you sleep.
How long till we land?
About twenty minutes.
Thank you.

It's heart felt, real, gut wrenching and just an amazing true story of a mans journey from the edge of death back to life.

It's made me cry so hard I had to put the book down and walk away thinking I couldn't go back to it. But a few minutes pass and I'm pulled back.

Hold on, hold on, hold on...

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Thu, 24 Nov 2005 5:35 am

I've heard of this best seller and the true story of the author's addiction with alcohol and drugs and how he fought his way from the bottom and finally beat his demons.

You're right Em Eye, by all accounts this one's a winner and I love a happy ending.
One man's meat is another's poison.