Singapore Expats Forum

Who is your favourite author?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 8:45 pm

Whoever it is that writes FHM.
some signatures are more equal than others

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:57 pm

[quote="Bubbles"]
I love the 'Aga Saga's' of Joanna Trollope....'Brother and Sister' 'A passionate man' all good stuff. Ordinary themes, explained well. Description of 'aga saga'....Aga is a cooker which is old fashioned here in the UK, usually found in well to do homes as they're damned expensive now...about £5000 upwards...and these books revolve round that kind of family, well heeled, educated usually, perhaps sometimes churchy.

Interesting that you mention Joanna Trollope. I'm currently reading Brother and Sister.
One man's meat is another's poison.

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Postby samantha » Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:11 am

I'm hacking through Anne Rice: Mummy
I'm so stupid that I surprise myself sometimes...

superedge
Chatter
Chatter

Postby superedge » Fri, 25 Nov 2005 1:16 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Gabriel Garcia Marquez, ....

Eric

Gabo is the one! :)
but again, takes you a loong time, forum discussion and concentration to understand those deep layers in his writings.

again..that's such an unfair question:), specially for those who love reading. It is such a hard work to choose among Gabo, Drummond, Saramago or Dickens

emiko08
Chatter
Chatter

Postby emiko08 » Mon, 12 Dec 2005 2:06 pm

i like Dan Brown. 8)

LN

Postby LN » Sat, 07 Feb 2009 6:13 am

dot dot dot wrote:Hi La Reinne,
(...)

15 years back or so there was a documentary on Dutch TV, called "nauwgezet en wanhopig", to be translated as something like "precise and desperate".

It were 4 individual interviews, with Gyorgi Konrad (Hungarian writer), Rudolf Steiner (philosopher, probably one of the worlds' most intellectual human beings), Jorge Semprun (communist and former minister in Spain) and Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Just 'talking heads' so to speak. No other images then those 4 older people talking for 8 hours in total.

In an impressive way they all tell the history of the 20th century through their own life stories, about ideologies, the horror of World War II and the meaning of our existence.

Steiner (of course...), Konrad and Semprun are all very intellectual and philosophical, Marquez is shy, apologised for not being able to answer the questions on our existence on this planet, but he just tells the way he writes: Magical.

It is a documentary of 8 hours or so, but not a second is to be missed. best thing I have ever watched on tv.

Anyway, my fav therefore is Marquez, his magic.

Eric

Hi dot dot dot,

I remember that documentary very well! To me as well it still stands out among the doc's I have watched. In fact I was so impressed, I wrote (to I think the VRPO, who broadcasted it) to receive all the texts. I still have them.

Strange though how this 3 yr old forum thread came up as 4th hit when googling "Gyorgi Konrad" ...

LN from NL

moto
Regular
Regular

Postby moto » Sat, 07 Feb 2009 11:34 pm

those whose collection of books i have read completely are john grisham, jeffrey archer, erich segal, and chaim potok...

yes, i know, most of these authors write blockbuster potboilers :) but i read enough "serious" stuff for work and have done the classics at university so i try to diversify my "literature"...

kristenlimon

Postby kristenlimon » Mon, 09 Feb 2009 10:05 pm

Deepka Chopra.

:]

wwww
Regular
Regular

Postby wwww » Tue, 10 Feb 2009 5:09 am

Haruki Murakami :D

amiee40
Chatter
Chatter

Postby amiee40 » Tue, 10 Feb 2009 11:49 am

Jeffery Deaver... the best
Patricia Cornwell, Anne Rice, Amy Tan and John Grisham.

Reading the Twilight series now... not bad... more for 20yrs old though..

Hactar

Postby Hactar » Tue, 10 Feb 2009 10:07 pm

without a doubt:

Terry Pratchett

I find that very few people here in Singapore have NOT read him, which is utterly surprising and and great loss to all who are not aware of him.
"Kings and lords come and go and leave nothing but statues in a desert, while a couple of young men tinkering in a workshop change the way the world works." - The Patrician (in 'The Truth' by Terry Pratchett)

Isambard
Regular
Regular

Postby Isambard » Wed, 11 Feb 2009 1:33 pm

Jasper Fforde - a bit nuts but I like him

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Postby irvine » Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:22 am

Jeffrey Archer, Paulo Coelho, Mary Higgins Clark, Rumi

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Postby blue_thunder » Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:37 am

My favourite author would be Fredrick Forsyth, for his intrinsic details about subject..

Cheers.
VK
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

fayke

Postby fayke » Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:43 pm

Terry Pratchet, by miles!
for creating a world that makes sense, and being the greatest philosophe of our time. :cool: