Singapore Expats Forum

History repeating itself?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Cuchu
Regular
Regular

History repeating itself?

Postby Cuchu » Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:11 am

I just had a worrying conversation with my family in Jakarta that they heard rumours that a similar attack towards Chinese-descents like what happened in 1998 as written in the news below might happen again soon.
I certainly do hope this is only a rumour for everybody's sake, but if you were there and consider yourself to have the possibility of being a target, what would you do as precaution?

Reports are beginning to emerge that hundreds of women and girls of Chinese descent were raped during the riots that swept over Indonesia last month.

The BBC Correspondent Matt Frei reports on the harrowing accounts of rape
As more women and girls - previously too scared to speak - come forward, a disturbing pattern of systematic rape has been revealed.

According to witnesses, the rioters would attack houses, rape the younger women, burn the house, and then move on to the next house. Girls as young as 11 were targeted, and were often raped in front of their families by as many as 10 men.

Ethnic Chinese, who made up only about 3% of Indonesia's population, have traditionally been made into scapegoats. When the rioting broke out in May, many Chinese shops and houses were looted and burned to the ground, and tens of thousands of Chinese fled the country.

The truth comes out

The BBC Jakarta correspondent says that many of the ethnic Chinese are Christian, and it was at church that they first overcame their shame and spoke about what happened.

As one woman spoke out about her experiences, another stood up and told a similar story, prompting others to do the same.

A terrible realisation dawned on congregations in Jakarta and elsewhere: the Chinese women had become victims of what looked like a campaign of mass rape.

Crisis groups have been set up to help the women, but there are still many unanswered questions, and there has been little official recognition of what happened.

More

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Same topic

Postby Scorpion » Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:54 am

same news had been discussed @different post.. :(
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

Cuchu
Regular
Regular

Postby Cuchu » Sat, 26 Nov 2005 12:19 pm

Where?

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 26 Nov 2005 2:09 pm

Pogroms such the last one have been going on for ages by an uneducated population lashing out at the weakest proportion of the population.

The last one had many leaving the place for good - I had one friend, married to an Indo-Chinese man, pack up their things and move back to Australia.

How fcan one live in a country where the word 'scapegoat' is stencilled one one's forehead?

Precaution? Leave.

'nuff said Image