Singapore Expats

Rampaging tourist!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
befuddled

Rampaging tourist!

Post by befuddled » Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:23 am

My friend's wife came to singapore on a social visit pass and dropped a bomb on him by secretly filing for divorce here AND filing for maintenance in the meantime. They're both foreigners and live outside Singapore. Can she do that? I know the divorce part won't hold, but as for the maintenance???

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:37 am

Do I know you???

Sounds exactly what I am going through right now.

She cannot file for divorce unless they have been living in Singapore for three or more years - They do not have to be residents.

As for maintenance I am afraid through the womens charter she can attempt to get it .

My advice is that your friend get a lawyer quick smart and get all his pieces in a row as it could get nasty.

BTW one sure fire way to avoid all of this is for your friend to relocate to another country in the region like Thailand where she cannot touch him as bad...

Ar you sure I don't know you...

befuddled

Post by befuddled » Sun, 01 Aug 2004 5:35 pm

Hey bafana,

No, I'm sure I don't know you, but it's sure as heck great to know that we're not alone in this world experiencing this! My friend is going thru a helluva time and really needs a competent local (male) family lawyer URGENTLY. Do you happen to know any?

Thanks for the reply, perhaps we should all meet up sometime to exchange stories and talk about our experiences! Appreciate the help.

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Mon, 02 Aug 2004 10:27 am

befuddled wrote:Hey bafana,

No, I'm sure I don't know you, but it's sure as heck great to know that we're not alone in this world experiencing this! My friend is going thru a helluva time and really needs a competent local (male) family lawyer URGENTLY. Do you happen to know any?

Thanks for the reply, perhaps we should all meet up sometime to exchange stories and talk about our experiences! Appreciate the help.
PM me and we can exchange emails - I do know a very good local male lawyer who has helped me out beyond the call of duty. :D

befuddled

Post by befuddled » Mon, 02 Aug 2004 11:27 am

I don't know why, I can't PM. Anyway, my email is [email protected]
Sounds great bout your guy - thanks for your help! :wink:

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Mon, 02 Aug 2004 2:07 pm

befuddled wrote:I don't know why, I can't PM. Anyway, my email is [email protected]
Sounds great bout your guy - thanks for your help! :wink:
Details sent - Best of luck for your friend :D

Horodos

Post by Horodos » Thu, 11 Jun 2009 1:11 pm

Bafana wrote: PM me and we can exchange emails - I do know a very good local male lawyer who has helped me out beyond the call of duty. :D
Hi Bafana,

I was searching the net for some good recommendations for a divorce lawyer. Happens to discover your post from my search.

Can you sent me the contact details of the male lawyer too? Desperately needed help.

My email is [email protected]

Thanks a lot!