Singapore Expats Forum

I'm smarter than you!: Women marrying down?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 19 Nov 2005 3:53 pm

On piracy of CD/DVD/Software, I don’t care if people do or don’t; I won’t lose a minutes sleep over it. There are far bigger and worse injustices being committed every day by these very industries. And just because it is not against the law it doesn’t mean it is not wrong.

Are you a modern day Tintin to be able to tell us what these 'far bigger and worse injustices' by these companies is? What misdeeds are they embroiled in?

You are spinning me out here, Ringo . . . :???:

Who are WE by the way; are you now the forum spokesperson? Or, is a rhetorical WE; as used by the Queen.

Mate - there is no such thing as a rhetotical 'We' for the Queen - it is simply called the Royal 'We' (Pluralis Majestatis) - nothing to do with rhetoric - and is/was used not only by royalty but also clergy.

'nuff said Image

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Oh well, back to school then

Postby ringo100 » Sat, 19 Nov 2005 4:21 pm

Maybe I am starting to sound a bit too much like Michael Moore. And instead of hijacking this thread for too long I will carry on talking about piracy on the other thread.

Whether I misused the word rhetorical or not; you did understand what I meant right? So do you have any comments about what I said? Or maybe you want to start a new thread up about how bad my English is?

Back to the actual subject. My opinion on women marrying down, is that it I think it does create a lot of issues in the relationship if the women is the main bread winner.

I have close friends in the UK where the girl wants to give up work to start a family but cannot as without her income they would struggle to pay the bills. It creates issues, as he feels inadequate as he can't support his family and she feels resentful because it's her dream leave work and start a family. But as they love each other very much I think they will get through it.

Therefore, I think it just creates another problem for a relationship and it really depends on the how much the couple loves each other.

Bafana

Re: Personal; I believe so.

Postby Bafana » Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:50 am

ringo100 wrote:I believe the personal attack that started it was:

Eric, Baf is not as, let us say, emotionally intelligent, as you are -- especially concerning women. In fact, down right rude lately. So, I guess the moral of the story is not only do we NOT want his/her food for thought -- I personally hope he/she chokes on it.

Thats about when I was feeling a little bit set upon...

Anyway good luck to you Ms Bailey - I am glad that we don't disagree or even care enough to hate each other. It would be a sad world if I did (For me anyway).

On the issue of my origins - I am an Aussie and my English does indeed suck when I am typing into an online forum. I dont see the need to waste time ensuring my spelling is correct and the gramma is all in line. I try to focus on the content.

And I do believe in what I post its just soemtimes I like to stir things up because some peopl,e around here have a tendancy to believe too seriously in what they are saying and do not allow themseleves the freedom and peace of mind to listen to other views without having an instant negative reaction. This btw the way is more a measure of intelligence (Or lack of it) then wasting time editing online posts just to show everybody that I may or may not have been to Uni.

The ability to think laterally and enjoy other peaoples opinions is fundamental to knowledge and are far more useful tools then the ability to cross i's and dot t's.

BTW is spell check was available here I woudl use it so as not annoy so many of our thick skinned brothers and sisters lah :P

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Mon, 21 Nov 2005 10:44 pm

Remember gents, sexism only goes one way.
some signatures are more equal than others

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Agreed????

Postby Scorpion » Tue, 22 Nov 2005 1:17 am

banana wrote:Remember gents, sexism only goes one way.

I'd somewhat desire equal "sexism" that’s mostly female sexism. Which in my opinion would not result in sexism at all?
:???:

I think sexism is one way or no way. Otherwise, we just have de-humanization or something along that line.
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....