Singapore Expats Forum

return ticket ?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

coucou

return ticket ?

Postby coucou » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 8:29 pm

Hello,

Is it mandatory to show a return ticket when you arrive in Singapore ?
I want to stay for 3month and look for a job there, so i will arrive with a single ticket only, will it be a problem ?

many thx

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 9:00 pm

You are facing potential problems as the airline in your country of origin will most likely refuse you to go on board, unless you can prove you have emplyment pass.
(talking from my own experience)
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

return

Postby Scorpion » Thu, 17 Nov 2005 3:29 am

yes coucou, you need to carry a return ticket or an outbound ticket from singapore to other country.

If not the immigration from your country will question on the purpose of the visit and you will not be able to make it into singapore for sure as it is necessary to keep an return ticket or hold an working pass in singapore
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

coucou

Postby coucou » Thu, 17 Nov 2005 9:42 pm

thanks for these answers.

Scorpion> Will it be possible to have a ticket like that: London>Singapore>bangkok ? or the EU immigration will still question me ?

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Ticket

Postby Scorpion » Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:58 pm

coucou wrote:thanks for these answers.

Scorpion> Will it be possible to have a ticket like that: London>Singapore>bangkok ? or the EU immigration will still question me ?

Yup its possible to buy tickets like that,

Your first check point, London immigration will be questioning about the return tickets and answer them that you will be getting the tickets separately etc.. either in Singapore or Bangkok

so when u land @Singapore, they will verify your purpose of visit and verify your next destination traveling dates and then issue a valid (14/30 day’z) tourist visa.

When you try to travel to Bangkok, the same outbound ticket shall be a problem and the Bangkok immigration will be asking etc.. that you need to manage and convenience them that you are buying the return ticket in Bangkok or else you can plan to get the ticket from Singapore before leaving to Bangkok to avoid confusion

cheers :cool:
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

Shadou
Regular
Regular

Postby Shadou » Fri, 18 Nov 2005 12:22 pm

It's really strange to read the replies saying that immigration will require you to have return ticket. I can tell you that NO, they won't require you to have a return ticket and yes, you can stay here for 3 months on a Social Visit Pass while you search for a job. That's what I did three years ago and I was never questioned. No immigration in all of the 25 countries that I have ever traveled to has ever asked to see proof of my follow on ticket, even when I have bought one way tickets. Honestly they could really care less if you walk, swim, take a bus/car/train or buy a ticket at the last minute as long as you don't go over your stay. If they do by some small chance question you, just tell them that you will be going overland via JB and not flying out. That's perfectly legal and immigration shouldn't question your travel plans-just as long you leave prior to the expiration of your visa. Plenty of people come and go via Singapore on one way tickets so you should be fine doing this.

Good luck to you.

Shadou
Regular
Regular

Postby Shadou » Fri, 18 Nov 2005 12:32 pm

I just remembered something in regards to my last post. There was once when I was questioned about two years ago when I traveled to Australia on a holiday. I was living here in Singapore, on a SVP while looking for a job and I bought a round trip ticket to Adelaide. While I was at the check in counter for my return flight back to Singapore, the lady asked me where I'm going from Singapore. I replied nowhere as Singapore is where I'm living. She then asked if she could verify my EP or return ticket and I said that I didn't have one since I was searching for a job at the time in Singapore. She then started to question whether this was legal or not and I replied that yes, it was fine, I've done it before so there should be no problem in what I'm doing. She said ok and let me board with no further problems.

So yes, some immigration departments can question you but just tell them what your doing or what you plan on doing and it should be fine.

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

return ticket

Postby Scorpion » Fri, 18 Nov 2005 1:02 pm

Shadou wrote:I just remembered something in regards to my last post. There was once when I was questioned about two years ago when I traveled to Australia on a holiday. I was living here in Singapore, on a SVP while looking for a job and I bought a round trip ticket to Adelaide. While I was at the check in counter for my return flight back to Singapore, .

Shadou, when you flew to australia did you get one way or return ticket also,, :cool:

Shadou
Regular
Regular

Postby Shadou » Fri, 18 Nov 2005 1:33 pm

If I recall correctly, it was a return ticket from Singapore. But I was still questioned as to where I would be heading from Singapore since it didn't show in my passport that I was working in Singapore at the time.

sdowney

One-way ticket

Postby sdowney » Fri, 18 Nov 2005 3:03 pm

Just speaking from personal experience...

I came from Canada via the US(after a 1 week layover) and Japan and had no problem coming on a 1-way ticket. I had a job here but NO documentation or EP as I had yet to pick it up on this side.

The airlines I travelled with questioned me on intention and I said I was going for work.

So take it for what it is worth.

S

Shadou
Regular
Regular

Postby Shadou » Fri, 18 Nov 2005 8:25 pm

Most airlines nowadays will question you since they view people with one way tickets to be potential terrorists...thanks of course to 9/11.

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Return ticket

Postby Scorpion » Sat, 19 Nov 2005 3:44 am

The main criteria on the single ticket an extra facilities come from the goverment rule.. :evil:

Some of them may not require any pre-approved visa to enter and stay in singapore for a minimum 14/30 dayz.

On the other hand some of them require to hold an visa before they enter singapore, need to have a valid return ticket if they are entering on tourist visa without any proper work documents.. :twisted: