Singapore Expats Forum

prospect of an accountant

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

revolta

prospect of an accountant

Postby revolta » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 3:07 pm

i have a diploma in engineering field, thought of studying acca to become an accountant.
Is there any accountant here?
care to share what are the propect of being an accountant.

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 3:22 pm

You may wind up being stuck in the windowless back office of a bank, tallying other people's money.

All depends on your charisma too.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

revolta

Postby revolta » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 6:19 pm

Hi Bremen, are you an accountant? i dun like engineering field, rather sit at office do office work(i like number), hate fixing those mechine.

actually i have done some research, the paid for an accountant is good with experience, but long working hours.

I scare that the market for accountant will be not good after i get my acca cert, that will be 2years plus.

anjin-san

Postby anjin-san » Thu, 17 Nov 2005 7:53 am

From what I can gather, there's a shortage of accountants so you should be alright. I don't think 2 years is enough time for a glut to form, considering the fact that many accounting students who study in Australia & NZ are staying on after graduation.
Friends in the industry have told me that the hours are long and the pay is lousy. But as soon as you get Chartered status (3 years methinks) you get a very nice wage rise.
If you are truly interested, why not go for it! An accounting qualification can take you many places. Best of luck revolta.

Pat

cygnus1

Postby cygnus1 » Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:17 am

hey anjin

i was thinking of getting CPA / CFA / ACCA in singapore...what about u?
I heard also that CFA is much harder than CPA, the fail rate is nearly 70 %.
I have no clue about ACCA thou...
what d u think?

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

ACCC..

Postby Scorpion » Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:51 am

Thought this has never been my field.. :P

Have set-up some account'z package for my ex-client.. :roll: anything related towards...
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

anjin-san

Postby anjin-san » Tue, 22 Nov 2005 5:59 am

Well well well - we meet again! lol

More likely than not, I'll pursue the CFA. It's far more relevant to investment banking than the other qualifications. That said, there's probably no harm in doing the CPA. Essentially do a bunch of exams, and 3/5 years down the road, you get certified! A few more letters after your name never hurt anybody.

Had my EP application put in yesterday. Lots of hope & prayers things go smoothly! How you going cyngus1?

By the way, are you in Singapore right now waiting for your EP, or are you back in Indonesia? You studied in Singapore didn't you?

Pat

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Panic

Postby Scorpion » Wed, 23 Nov 2005 2:52 am

anjin-san wrote:...
Had my EP application put in yesterday. Lots of hope & prayers things go smoothly! How you going cyngus1?
Pat

Well don't panic pals 8) , wishes e'thing goes well.. :wink:
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

Bonbon
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Bonbon » Fri, 02 Dec 2005 12:59 am

Revolta,

Accountant is not a bad role, like doctor, engineer, teacher you can get an accountant job anywhere in the world, as soon as you get your CPA. Singapore CPA is well recognised in the Commonwealthe country.

As for CFA, it's equally good, CFA is more challenging than CPA. You're right about the failure rate. However, if going into banking, investment, management funds is where you would like to be, CFA will get you to high place. Personally I feel CFA is much harder. It really depends on what you would like to do.

If you want to end up in the front office, and mid office work or being a fund manager, CFA is kinda a bonus, and some places a must , except if you already have a MBA.

CA or CPA, much easier, and I appreciate this qualification, as it has been getting around the world without the problem so far.

:-)

Good luck!

Bonnie :)

anjin-san

Postby anjin-san » Fri, 02 Dec 2005 9:29 am

Too right Bonnie. I'm unsure about the degree of recognition the CPA qualification gets (significant nonetheless), but the CA is an advantageous option. Plenty of Australians go to the UK after getting their CA status whereas (I'm quite certain) CPAs can't do this.

Best of luck revolta!

Pat

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

EP

Postby Scorpion » Fri, 02 Dec 2005 9:12 pm

Still gettimg ur EP approved

anjin-san

Postby anjin-san » Sat, 03 Dec 2005 12:06 am

It's been just under 2 weeks since submission - yeah, still in process Scorpion!

Pat