Singapore Expats Forum

HIV testing in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

HIV testing in Singapore

Postby ringo100 » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 1:41 pm

It has always been my policy to go for a STD screening every 6 months – 1 year. So when I came to Singapore I was amazed to find that if you test positive for HIV at your local Doctors they are legally obliged to inform the authorities and if you are a foreigner, they kick you out.

I was happy to find out when I went to the STD clinic recently, that they have an anonymous test service for $20 and it takes 20 minutes. Very good.

Now questions are:

1) Do you think having a policy of reporting all HIV cases to the government helps or hinders the spread of HIV;

2) Even if it helps prevent HIV; is it so morally distasteful and against a person’s basic human rights that it shouldn’t be done anyway; and

3) If you can simply get an anonymous test anyway; why not just stop the policy and let people be tested with their own doctor?

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 2:11 pm

Ringo,

this topic was discussed 2 months ago, and caused quite some bashing and flaming. I am gonna stay out of it, good luck.

Eric

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 2:37 pm

Try this thread as referred to by the above poster.

http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic25451.html