Singapore Expats Forum

And Its Only Tuesday...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Em Eye
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Em Eye » Tue, 15 Nov 2005 10:59 pm

SMS - Yipppeeee!!!!! Congratulations!!!!! (except the gout of course)

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:04 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
Saint wrote:I hope you haven't broken your cocktail shaker again otherwise it would be the end of the world :wink:

No, it's fixed thank godness. But the Vodka is running low until Mr. Bailey returns. It's $89 at the supermarket and $23 at the airport. Suchadeal!

Much better prices on Serangoon in Little India... just south of Mustafas. $42 for JW Red versus $65 and up at the food markets.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:36 pm

Global Citizen wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: Seems my gout has returned to pay me a visit in my left knee and I just went straight to the floor.

SMS, what are the symptons of gout besides pain? Mr. Citizen has been complaining about a persistent pain in his knee and wonders if he pulled something as doctor seems to think so, but it still hasn't gone away after several weeks.

If it is in the big joint of the big toe it is usually inflamed, bright red and possibly shiney looking on the side of the toe joint. When I get it in my knees, it usually on the outside edge of the kneecap where the tendons connect. I usually get some swelling as well. The first time I had it (and diagnosed as such, I thought I had water on the knee as my knee had swollen up to the size of a sepak takraw ball. (I was about 38 at the time). It usually goes away after 1 or 2 days. I've had gout for 25 years at least but have basically had it under control via dietary means (no sardines, ikan bilis, soybean products, bean sprouts, liver, kidneys or any other type of organ meat or huge slabs of prime ribs, etc. Was on allipurinol for a while prior to changing my diet. have been off the meds for over 10 years now. It's only when I strain or injure the joints that I get a couple of days of pain.

Have him do a blood workup to check on his uric acid levels (the cause of gout is uric acid crystals forming in the joints and further inflaming the joint.) Normally uric acid is flushed out via the kidneys unless there is a chemical imbalance that causes the conversion of Purine (the primary protein in the production of uric acid) faster than the body can flush it out. I've even caused a gout attach eating too much red bean mooncakes! (Now I limit myself to lotus paste with egg!) Of course beer, wine, champaign, port & sherry aren't too good for it either. I rarely drink nowadays and am luck to have 6 beers in 6 months.

Oh, gout is hereditary usually skipping a generation or two even. Tho only other way to get gout is as a side effect of some older heart medications.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:02 am

For what it's worth La Reinne, but you weren't alone. I had a shit day as well, especially the second part. But as it is past midnight now, I just call it a night, I am to bed.

Take care and tomorrow will be good.

Eric

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 1:20 am

Hey SMS, fantastic news about the docs good news and WELL DONE for chucking the ciggies. Tell me, how did you do it? I've smoked on and off for years and hate myself for it, not heavily, but enough to know how stupid I am for doing it....so I've been 'on the wagon' yet again for about four days and I tell you, I'm suffering here.

No, don't expect any sympathy, but it just goes to prove what a drug nicotine is, as all I can say is if this is not withdrawal, I don't know what is.

Did you experience bad temper, emotion, and feeling tired? Not sure if they're signs, but in the last days I've been either manic, tearful or asleep. Or nearly.

So, sorry for the mishaps everyone is suffering.........I'm sure it is this retrograde mercury, or something.

I'll let everyone know how I do. I am trying very hard to resist.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 6:42 am

Thanks so much SMS, for the valuable input.
One man's meat is another's poison.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:08 am

Bubbles wrote:Hey SMS, fantastic news about the docs good news and WELL DONE for chucking the ciggies. Tell me, how did you do it? I've smoked on and off for years and hate myself for it, not heavily, but enough to know how stupid I am for doing it....so I've been 'on the wagon' yet again for about four days and I tell you, I'm suffering here.

No, don't expect any sympathy, but it just goes to prove what a drug nicotine is, as all I can say is if this is not withdrawal, I don't know what is.

Bubbs, first of all, let me preface this by only saying that this worked for me and is not to be construed as the "way to go".

20% of what you feel is nicotine withdrawal, 80% is mental and oral fixation.

I've tried several time over the years to quit with varying degrees of success (actually, the fact that I quit last Dec means I'd had NO SUCCESS previously as I returned to smoking didn't I?)

This is what I have learned. If you quit for any reason other than the fact that you WANT to quit (not "should" quit but "WANT", forget it. It will never work. As everybody likes to take my words out of context on this board, I'll give some more to mull over. The following are MY meanings only and may not reflect the common dictionary definitions but they worked for me:

If you have layed the ciggies down because in your mind you want for yourself then you are trying to quit smoking and if you have already made up your mind, 80% of the battle is already won.

If you have layed the ciggies down because you are doing the PC thing. e.g., is bad for the family, it's bad for my health, it's a filthy habit, the cost has gotten too high, or any other reason then YOU ARE NOT QUITTING - YOU ARE ONLY STOPPING SMOKING. To me stopping is a temporary thing like pulling up to a stop light. It is only temporary and in your mind you will automatically rationalize with "See, I can stop anytime I like!" How many times have we said that?

My withdrawal was nonexistent, because it is mind over matter for the most part (I do not say that nicotine is not habit forming, but anything can be controlled by mind control if you know how). I laid them down in the middle of the afternoon on 13 Dec last while working on the creation of a database and thought to myself, I want to quit, now is a good time to quit. So I did.

The only problem was I did end up on a seefood diet for a while causing me to gain 10 kg by the end of February (of course being at home on the farm taking care of my Mom who was down with a MAJOR Shingles outbreak, snowbound for several weeks didn't help matters). Seefood diet? Not a spelling error. If I saw food, I ate it!

The best part was going into a bar about 1 month after quitting and having enough to drink and not even having the urge then.

Hoping for the best. :mrgreen:

sms

Edited to add -

As far as the Tiredness is concerned it is a byproduct of quitting. Smoking will raise you blood pressure about 20 points. After 2-3 days without any nicotine, your blood pressure will drop and hence the tiredness you are feeling

sms

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:32 am

That is fantastic SMS...giving up like that after so long is a huge effort. What you say about quitting is so right.

The person quitting has to want quit for themselves, it can't be for any other reason.

I gave up when I was pregnant with my children, but stupidly took it up again after I stopped breastfeeding. I never thought of it like that but as you say, I was just stopping those times. I thought I had given up, but it only took some stress and I took it back up again.

This last time (its over six months now) I gave up for me, because I decided I really wanted to, no other reason. It seemed to give me that edge and extra determination to beat the initial cravings. It was a bit tough for a couple of weeks, but after that nothing.

OK its not that long ago for me to preach about it (sorry!) but it feels different this time. Now I don't even get the urge any more, not even when in those difficult situations, like out drinking etc or being with friends who smoke, it just seems easier this time round. :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:46 am

micknlea,

Thanks for the confirmation of what I am saying. Most of what I said flies in the face of conventional wisdom but it is true non-the-less.

Congratulations are in order for you as well. If what you say is true, like me you don't need to go around preaching to others either. It is a personal thing isn't it.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Wed, 16 Nov 2005 12:15 pm

Thanks SMS...and yes it is a personal thing. I'm proud of myself and thats all I need.

I'm not sure if it does fly in the face of conventional wisdom though...perhaps only in the face of those who are trying to make others do things. After all you really have to believe in yourself and what you are doing to do anything well, especially those things that take a lot of self confidence and will power to do. It doesn't matter how much outside help if you have if you can't help yourself as well.

oops sorry carried away, sounds like preaching again....must stop... :wink:

clap

Drink-all-u-can vodka

Postby clap » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 1:59 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
Saint wrote:I hope you haven't broken your cocktail shaker again otherwise it would be the end of the world :wink:

No, it's fixed thank godness. But the Vodka is running low until Mr. Bailey returns. It's $89 at the supermarket and $23 at the airport. Suchadeal!

I recently came across this super drinks deal -

$20-$25 every Saturday drink-all-u-can, vodka, beer, whisky, from 7pm to 3am!!! Located at the top of Mohd Sultan with great penthouse view at level 3 of UE Square Shopping Mall, Made In Anfield(M.I.A.).

For further details check out- http://www.mia.com.sg

Anyone else got good recommendations? :wink:

Saint
Director
Director

Re: Drink-all-u-can vodka

Postby Saint » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 5:12 pm

clap wrote:Anyone else got good recommendations? :wink:

Yes, Give it a rest on posting your ads :wink:

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 5:41 pm

Saint... you are supposed to stay off for a day??? :twisted: [looks at her stopwatch...] its only been 12 mins... from the last post from "Where is this?" :P

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 6:04 pm

madwolfie wrote:Saint... you are supposed to stay off for a day??? :twisted: [looks at her stopwatch...] its only been 12 mins... from the last post from "Where is this?" :P

Hold on young Wolfie, look at the times of the post and you will see I haven't posted since you started the clock :roll:

Disclaimer: This or any other post by Saint which points out corrections or any other postings which are deemed urgent/important if were not to be posted in any form or if not posting a post could or would post unnecessary suffering or distress to either a first/third party, such posting will be declared null and void as breaking the 24 hrs posting challange.

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Fri, 09 Dec 2005 6:44 pm

cheaterbug :? :evil: