Singapore Expats

To which bank to change to?

Discuss the different banking options, rates, offers and perks.
P

To which bank to change to?

Post by P » Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:57 am

I have had account with DBS for couple of years. Mostly internet bankking. Daily things are ok. Paying electricity etc bills.

But.. when it comes to do something else.. it just don't work. I wished to pay to another banks account and got the daily limits (SGD1000). I should go to the Branch office to change this limit and I wish not to do so.

These so called security features are too annoying. I can take 2000 sing/day from ATM but can not pay that amount / month for a rent!

Which of the other banks are more flexible and intelligent in this sense?

-P

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Security

Post by Scorpion » Tue, 15 Nov 2005 12:47 pm

Hmmm.. this is called as a security feature.. :lol:

Have you not heard of case where the ATM card can be stolen or misused and what would happen if all the money is lost instead of the minimum balance alone.. :twisted:

I do hold accounts with banks like posb,uob and ocbc its same all over with the miniumum balance around 2k-3k sgd.

for your case, setup your internet banking account transfer balance to the amount you need (this is only an 1time activity that requires to be done at the bank). then you are free to transfer the big amounts via the internet no need of going to the machines. :lol:

cheers :cool:
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

P

Re: Security

Post by P » Tue, 15 Nov 2005 1:07 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I know I can handle this issue by going to the office. But I do not wish to do so. :) This is only one thing and there has been others. These minor annoyances which build up to need of change for me.

In general. It would be easier for me to transfer the money from my home country to my landlords account. Of course it would be much more expensive, but explains the usability.

How about Standard Chartered bank? I went to their office and the customer service seemed to much skillfull than DBS has ever been.

You mentioned minimum account balance. How does it correlate with service? With SGD10k I would get things done more flexible?

Br, P

JayV

Post by JayV » Tue, 15 Nov 2005 5:25 pm

I have my mortgage loan with SCB while holding current account with DBS. To my experience, customer service at SCB is much worse than DBS.

Scorpion
Editor
Editor

Re: Security

Post by Scorpion » Thu, 17 Nov 2005 4:25 am

P wrote: You mentioned minimum account balance. How does it correlate with service? With SGD10k I would get things done more flexible? Br, P
The minimum balance for internet transfer is 5k, if u need to upgrade it send a fax with your sign or you may need to go directly to sign it.

If you are making an big payments on every month why cannt u handle thru a cheque book there has been no restriction on it.
When u Need Someone to Be Beside u And No One Is Around Just Gaze Up In The Sky,u Might Not See Me But Be Sure That We r Under The Same Sky,I wl'd Never B 2 Far....

qm

Post by qm » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:07 pm

ugh...i also find banking service in SG very inefficient and annoying...I use citibank and am pretty frustrated.

fyi, citibank has a daily limit of 3000 S$.

what is scb please? I once sat in a talk by the CEO of standard chartered and found her very impressive. tempted to try their service.

again, banking service is supposed to make our life easier, not harder...

qm

Post by qm » Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:08 pm

oh it seems like scb is standard chartered. :???: