Singapore Expats Forum

Organic food shop

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:34 am

myworld21 wrote:
Eric from the Netherlands wrote:
no need to apologize here! :wink:

guess my reply said more about me than about yourself right?

Am in a bit of a sarcastic mood I guess, will pass by, no worries... :)

Eric

whatever you like!
Eric, I wonder if your dictionary has the word, "Yield" ever???
:???:

At the moment my dictionary holds one word in front of my face all the time: drained.

Eric

return2nature

Postby return2nature » Fri, 10 Feb 2006 3:02 am

Well talking about where to buy organic stuff, note that certain claim of "organic" may not be what it is. One of the std used by the industry is the USDA "Organic Seal". This is regconised by even IFOAM and a lot of the industry in many countries follow this certification. For details see below.

USDA’s National Organic Program

Congress passed the Organic Foods Production Act (OFPA) of 1990. The OFPA required the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to develop national standards for organically produced agricultural products to assure consumers that agricultural products marketed as organic meet consistent, uniform standards. The OFPA and the National Organic Program (NOP) regulations require that agricultural products labeled as organic originate from farms or handling operations certified by a State or private entity that has been accredited by USDA.

Labeling standards are based on the percentage of organic ingredients in a product.

Products labeled "100 percent organic" must contain only organically produced ingredients. Products labeled "organic" must consist of at least 95 percent organically produced ingredients. Products meeting the requirements for "100 percent organic" and "organic" may display the USDA Organic seal.

Processed products that contain at least 70 percent organic ingredients can use the phrase "made with organic ingredients" and list up to three of the organic ingredients or food groups on the principal display panel. For example, soup made with at least 70 percent organic ingredients and only organic vegetables may be labeled either "made with organic peas, potatoes, and carrots," or "made with organic vegetables." The USDA seal cannot be used anywhere on the package.

Processed products that contain less than 70 percent organic ingredients cannot use the term “organic”