Singapore Expats Forum

Malaysia Homestay or B&B?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Malaysia Homestay or B&B?

Postby Bubbles » Mon, 14 Nov 2005 4:49 pm

Hi Everyone

Just wondered if anyone knew if there was a scheme in Malaysia, like our bed and breakfast arrangement here in the UK.

You go on holiday and people rent out rooms in their homes?

I would love to do a bit of travelling alone in Malaysia, it's one of my favourite places. However, I'd love to know if there are any safe schemes where I could go and stay in real hometown Malaysia, not in downtown big hotel KL or wherever?

Just fancied trying to set it up for next spring, to do some painting, photograpy and writing, then onto Singapore for a couple of days....(for the WNDC I hope.)

I'd like to be able to say I went to proper Malay homes.

Thanks

Bubbs.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

superedge
Chatter
Chatter

Postby superedge » Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:17 am

hi,

you should try www.hospitalityclub.org.
Not so common as bed and breakfast in europe but very well organized.
it worked for me before.

and we hope you can offer somebody else the opportunity to visit or host someone in UK/Walles someday. but of course, to host is not mandatory.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Tue, 15 Nov 2005 4:42 pm

Wow Superedge

What a fabulous idea. I had no inkling it existed. Can you tell us how it worked for you?

Bubbs.

Dylan Thomas.

superedge
Chatter
Chatter

Postby superedge » Tue, 15 Nov 2005 5:22 pm

you subscribe to the site. leave your details and travelling plans or destinations.
then once your subscription is approved you start looking for people in the country where you want to travel and send them a message.
They hosters set the rules such as: 1 week stay maximum, no girls, no smokers etc.
once you find a place to stay, just pack and go. The cool thing about this network of friends is that they can take you to places where you experience the local as a local because you will be living with a local for the time being.

I hope you find a good hoster and bring many pictures:)

mysticalx

Postby mysticalx » Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:22 pm

Yup the Hospitality Club is definitely a great way to meet the locals. Have met some very nice people through the club. Not sure how many Malaysians actually host someone in HC and you'll find most of them in KL.

Bubbles,
Are you looking for Malay homes or just Malaysian homes? When you mentiond Malay homes, I was thinking more of "kampungs"/Malay villages. You'll find more kampungs only on the east coast of Peninsular Malaysia though.

Where are you thinking of visiting by the way?

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Fri, 18 Nov 2005 12:53 am

Hi Mystic

Well, I did wonder about staying with real families in kampongs, that's what I'd like really, but perhaps that's not on, or it doesn't exist. I know for sure that Malay folk are very welcoming but I couldn't presume to turn up at a village and THEN ask if anyone took paying guests in for the night, could I? Especially a woman on her own, which is what I'd love to do.

Now, this is my dream, and I'm not saying I'll be brave enough to do it, but I feel as if I want to do it, to do something free and without ties. Does anyone know what I mean here? OK, it could very well be a mid life crisis.

And that's another thing.....these stays.....is it only the very young, i.e. under 25 ish, who go? I'm nowhere near that now, and am all grown up...(read older)....and DO older folk do mad things like this?

And also, would it be safe for me to do something like this. You know, perhaps I've got a 'golden' view of Singapore and Malaysia, from my years spent there. Perhaps it is now too dangerous to wander alone. I know KL is dicey, but what about the kampongs in different states? Also, the further north states, are they very religious and would they frown on women travelling alone?

Sorry, so many questions.

Bubbs.

Dylan Thomas.

prana

safe or not

Postby prana » Fri, 18 Nov 2005 6:17 pm

It is only the North Eastern states of Kelantan and Terengganu which are conservative. The North west states of Penang, Kedah are fine. Think also about the islands of Pangkor and Langkawi where people have retired. They would be more amenable to welcome a single PAYING woman guest.

Since you want non-commercial arrangements a good idea might be to google with key words like nature/art/etc then you are likely to find people who are like-minded & more ready to accomodate and welcome adventurous and quirky travellers.

Wild Asia e.g. is an eco-type NGO run by a British-trained Malaysian guy. He's obviously not in it for the money. He is the sort I mean -- likely to know such people who might actually look forward to have a visitor around.

mysticalx

Postby mysticalx » Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:37 am

Hi Bubbles,

Yeah you’ll probably find a lot of people in their 20’s in HC but I did meet one Singaporean guy in his 40’s. As mentioned by prana, the north-western states are quite safe like Penang for example but like anywhere else, it’s always best to be careful when traveling alone. The north-eastern states of Kelantan and Terengganu are definitely more conservative as they are Muslim states but you’ll find many unspoilt beaches and small fishing kampungs. Hmm…KL may be a different story but I’ve only lived there for a short while.

Maybe I can help you find something in Penang but that will take some time. You’re not in a rush are you? Are you really into the REAL kampung life? Actually Borneo may also be a good idea – you know about the longhouses, the Dayaks and the Ibans in Sarawak?

http://www.asianpacificpost.com/news/article/255.html

Many westerners, for example, are awkwardly surprised that complete strangers would host them for free (out of courtesy, however, most people bring small gifts like candy for the children).

I’ll ask a friend of mine from Kuching if you’re interested. He may know some people…

tmsu

bed and breakfast

Postby tmsu » Wed, 07 Dec 2005 11:57 pm

would you be interested in b & B in the state of Malacca city. It is one of the many states in Malaysia. You would be able to stay like a homestay programme but much cheaper and it would be like stay and get to know the family of the place u will put up.Iam actualy the coordinator for this new idea. the price would be around USD 1000 for 3 days, 2 nights stay.Free breakfast for all the days and maybe some touring around ??You have the option to choose if you want to stay in a chinese house, a baba house or even an indian house.